Classroom Management

I almost quit teaching today. I am lost and new advice

>

newteacher505

I almost quit teaching today. I am lost and new advice
Old 04-03-2017, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I came across this forum by typing in "I want to quit teaching". I really need some advice. I was a substitute teacher that became an actual teacher a month ago. I regret taking this assignment every single day and my life was better as a sub. I am currently at a high school.

First, i was given no lesson plans or guidance so I been trying to get some stuff together for these classes. The kids wont do the work that I give them. I cannot make the assignments any easier. One person keeps say he will report me to the board of education because he has a bad grade because he wont do his work >_> or my favorite "I am going to get you fired!"

The kids are rude, disrespectful, some threaten to beat me up but today was the worst. Apparently teachers have to buy their own stuff. So I purchased some equipment for some of my classes to work on project. It was very difficult to get all the stuff I had to go to several stores. I watched in horror as a group of students destroyed all the material. I kicked them all of out class.

I dont know what to do. I work in an isolated part of the school. There is no one around. I dont know what I can do for "discipline". The kids smoke weed at school and come to class high. Its a damn mess.

Good News: (Its not all bad). My background isnt education. I will actually be moving on to a high paying job with one of the nation's top companies in a month. That's what makes this so frustrating. The kids know the full extent of my background. I dont understand their behavior.

Today, after the incident with the kids destroying my stuff. I almost quit. Actually I packed all my stuff and cleaned my desk. I am not sure what to do....

newteacher505 is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Well you are leaving
Old 04-03-2017, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

so take it one day at a time. As a new teacher you should have a mentor. Absolutely go to him or her to help you get through this month! And don't let anyone know you are moving on until absolutely necessary. Teaching is a very demanding career unlike what many people think. Good luck in both jobs!
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

newteacher505

Old 04-03-2017, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Everyone knows already knows the exact day I am leaving. However I will admit telling the students this may have been a mistake. I am the 4th teacher these kids had and countless other substitute.

A lot of the kids do view me as a "role model". They want to know exactly what I did to get to this point now. I like those kids. I am not exactly in a urban school. But its a low income area.

I think i was too idealistic. I thought I would I would walk in and it would be fun and could teach the kids some stuff that could get them a job. The admin and other teachers were impressed with my background, They had high expectations for me and I felt like I let them down.

learnforever

Leave Tomorrow
Old 04-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would be out of there immediately. If you have students who are threatening you you run the risk of a unfounded public complaint. Do not tell anyone of your new job...just resign and leave with your good personal reputation in tact. The problems in this school are more than you need or can solve. Good luck in your new job.
learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote

newteacher505

Old 04-03-2017, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

would it be better for me to resign or just ask to be released from the assignment and not return to that school?

Munchkins

I think you should leave now
Old 04-03-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You already told them you were leaving, and it sounds like you're not interested in teaching in the future. So why put up with that nonsense a second longer? Be safe, and let us know how you're doing.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

See Ya
Old 04-04-2017, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

First of all, I don't know how anyone can teach without a background in education. I fall back on my "training" time and time again. So congrats for giving this a try. I also feel like in order to have a productive year you need to start on day one. I have filled in for people throughout the years and I always started it as a "Day One" situation. With you being the fourth teacher, that would be extremely difficult.

I'm so sorry to hear that your materials were destroyed. However, I can't say that I'm terribly surprised. I've had classes where I had to lock up everything on a daily basis, so everything didn't get torn up. However, luckily, I have learned not to spend a fortune on classes that can't handle it. From day one, I train my students in manners and how to treat my things. They don't say "thanks" or respect items, the items go away. (Thank you, Ron Clark!)

I say that you can quit anytime you like. If they threaten you, report it. If admin does nothing, I would call the police or walk out. Last year, I used to fantasize about doing this. You actually can! That must be a great feeling of freedom. This job isn't worth getting attacked for. Be safe!
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

However...
Old 04-04-2017, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

if you need letters of recommendation beware of HOW you leave.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

newteacher505

Old 04-04-2017, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Just wanted to give you guys an update

Today was 1000% better. I am glad I took time to reflect rather than act on my emotions quickly. I was ready to get the hell out lol! I consulted with associates offline (some are teachers as well). I am going to try to stick with it for a few more days.

I do not require any letters of recommendation. I have other people who can do that who are in position of authority and my new job is in a different field several states away.

But like another poster inferred I do need to be careful which is why I always interact with the students in a strict professional manner regardless of the behavior.

Personally I do feel like a failure but with being the 4th teacher things are out of my control.

In additional I was way to over confident. I found elementary and middle schools to be boring. However high school is a completely different ball game and seems to require a different skill set.

learnforever

Good Luck
Old 04-04-2017, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm hopeful all will be well as you finish your assignment. Your self-confidence is admirable.

learnforever is offline   Reply With Quote

dubby

Old 04-05-2017, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The kids are rude, disrespectful, and threatening because you were never prepared for teaching and you were idealistically expecting students to just automatically jump through whatever hoop you put out in front of them. To get to that point it will take time, effort, and tight classroom management.

Moreover, the fact that you are already leaving and have that mindset indirectly tells the students that you are just another person to hurt them. Put yourself in their perspective: each person who have entered in their academic life has pretty much left, that sends a very strong abandonment message. I would personally start thinking that there was something wrong with me. As a student, it's easier to push someone away (misbehave and threaten) because it hurts less than working to build a solid and positive relationship.

The reason subbing was more appealing to you was because there was no commitment. You did not need to get to know the students. If the admins and teachers praised you, it's because their only goal was to get a body into the class and stay there; it did not matter who it is, it just had to be someone.
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

WelchD

Old 04-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If I were you, I would quit right away. There is no sense in staying in a job that doesn't make you feel respected at all. It's not worth your time and effort.
Did you try talking about it with the school's management?
WelchD is offline   Reply With Quote