Second Grade

Principal is moving me to First Grade.

>

Peacebluekitty

Principal is moving me to First Grade.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,
It has been awhile since I have been on here. I am at a new school btw. Here is my issue. My principal recently asked me to come talk to her in her office. (I know. Yikes. Right?) So during my planning period I go up there, and she tells me that she is moving me to first because, "I am strong, confident in what I am doing and strong in my teaching." I did not ask very many questions. I just basically smiled at her and pretty much walked out the door. She said that she did not see this as a bad thing.
Ok so for about 3 seconds, I thought..."Self. you should take this as a compliment. It is what you have been waiting to hear. <Not the moving to first part.>" But then the paranoid part of me based on previous principal experience wonders if I can trust what she is saying to be the real reason she is moving me. She says that most of first is still "floundering." I know that she has been having a hard time with first. But my heart is in second grade. I teach at a school where the poverty is 96% +. I have taught at 3 previous schools (first school I don't really count, because I taught preschool w/disabilities one year then left.) Second school I taught at, I taught one year of first, 7 or so years of second, 2 years of kindergarten. Third school I taught first grade like 10 years.
So. I have been bummed by this. I just like second and was hoping to stay in second a good long while. Any principals out there or the like? Or teachers who have taught even longer than me (21 years)? My scores are pretty good. Exemplary on SLOs. How would you take this? One teacher friend says go with it and just try to have a positive attitude about it, and another teacher friend says go tell her how I feel, which I do not think will end well. Advice please.
Thanks!
Peacebluekitty

Peacebluekitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Peacebluekitty

Old 04-04-2017, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

BTW I do not have any conflict with this principal, but she is tough. I guess just take it and swallow it right? Scared to go talk to Lit Coach and Asst. Princip for fear it will get back to princ. in the wrong light.
Peacebluekitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Keep smiling!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You will be fine. I've been teaching over 30 years, and you don't have a choice of grade levels. It sounds like you are truly needed there. You have lots of experience, so it does sound like a smart move. Keep your attitude positive, and have a great year. I've taught both first and second, and although I think 2nd is a bit easier, there's nothing like the growth you see in first grade. I love first.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

Love 1st
Old 04-04-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First is my favorite grade. Believe me, almost had a heart attack, when they moved me to 5th.
123rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Catholic school
Old 04-05-2017, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was asked to move to second grade after teaching 20 years of fourth grade. It was the last thing I wanted to do. I really loved fourth-graders.

The principal mentiond that I was nurturing. I also knew that the second grade was floundering because they kept losing teachers in one of the two positions. I think the only reason why I moved down was because the next two grades coming up to fourth grade were two of the worst in the school history.

Best choice I ever made. I fell in love with second graders. Now, I work at a learning center and love working with three-year-olds to six-year-olds.

I think that you will do well and it probably was a compliment.

kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

WelchD

Everything will be fine
Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't worry. I know you'll be fine since you're a good teacher.
I also experienced to teach Grade 1 students and it wasn't easy at first. I thought of quitting during the first week. Good thing I was able to force myself to give it a try for another week.
Fortunately, I was able to cope with the activities as well as their behavior. I handled a class of 30 kids. I still can't imagine the chaos I experienced every day. But, I survived and now I realized how fulfilling it is to teach those young angels.
WelchD is offline   Reply With Quote