Help

Career Decisions

School counseling certification

>

heartmyjob

School counseling certification
Old 04-04-2017, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Right now I have a Master's in Instructional Effectiveness and 12 years teaching experience. My district pays for +30 hours and I'm considering getting a second master's in school counseling.

Any advice on if this is doable for working teachers? I don't have a desire to leave the classroom just yet but I'd like to have options down the road and the pay raise is there either way.

My biggest concern is the year internship that most degrees require.

If you have transitioned from teaching to counseling I'd love to hear about it!

heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-04-2017, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My best friend just finished her counseling MA program. She found a program that allowed her to do internship hours during planning, lunch, etc. She didn't have to quit teaching at all. She also got hours by doing things after school like helping create schedules. You would have to have a really good relationship with the current counselor at your school to make it work and an admin that was really supportive of you doing the program, IMO. It really worked out for her because the counselor at her school and her admin really supported her doing the program and would find ways for her to get internship hours in. For example, they let her run a class focused on applying/getting into/preparing for college this year (she's currently a HS teacher), and she was able to use that time towards her internship. Her P also let her make a lot of the schedules and involved her in school planning meetings and things like that. Without this type of environment, I'm not sure how you would teach full time and get the hours at the same time. I know she originally thought about doing a school psych program instead (better job market for that, at least in her area), but wasn't able to find a program for psychs that didn't involve a full year internship.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

heartmyjob

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2017, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for this feedback! I was hoping I could arrange something like this and I'm happy to know someone else has done it too.

Right now I'm researching programs to find the best fit for my schedule at the best price. I'm in no hurry, just trying to make plans for better options in my future.

Thanks again!
heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 04-05-2017, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What state is that in?
Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

heartmyjob

State
Old 04-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm in Tennessee.