Help

Fifth Grade

Reading Block Look Likes

>

ms.ally

Reading Block Look Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Im moving from 4th grade to 5th grade. Please share what your 5th grade reading block looks like.

ms.ally is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-06-2017, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Characterized by not enough time, lol! We have 90 minutes. I do whole group lesson (mini-lesson on reading strategy, read out-loud, shared reading). Then I give them 15 minutes of independent reading time. I'm supposed to conference with students during this time but to be honest, I've slacked recently. Then I give the kids a brief overview of independent work while I start pulling groups. I do three groups. First group is an ESOL group because their teacher comes to get them after that time (at least with my morning class). Then I pull two out of the three other groups. Independent work might be a writing assignment, reading genre assigned as a summary, work for a reading group. A rare worksheet thrown in there. Computer work at times.

Last edited by cruxian; 04-07-2017 at 03:17 AM..
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-06-2017, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I should add I've done the fourth to fifth grade move. There wasn't a huge change. Some of it is constrained by the school set schedule and admin discretion.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Because of scheduling I do small group reading first. I meet with students for 45 minutes- 15 minutes for each group. High groups twice a week, average groups three times a week, and low group every day. I then do 15 minutes of whole group word study. Then I do 45 minutes of whole group reading comprehension using a basal.

During small group time, my students not meeting with me spend 15 minutes working with a parent reading from a daily news program- on the days they don't meet with me, 15 minutes do an online program called Mobymax, and 15 minutes doing independent reading.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote