Help

Classroom Management

Feeling defeated

>

Ninetwo

Feeling defeated
Old 04-10-2017, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We switch classes for math and reading focus groups. These are half an hour each. Some are my own students and some come from the other fourth grade classes. I am the lowest grade level group, lower than me goes to Title. I feel that these groups are so hard to establish any type of classroom management routines. They only last 6 weeks and then the group changes. There are several behavior problem students in every group. I lost it last week and yelled...which is not my style, but I did yell and pretty loud. Well, wouldn't you know it my principle was walking by. This principle is not one to support us teachers, the students can do no wrong, they are just misunderstood. So I got a talking to. I feel completely defeated in these groups and that I just have to put up with the bad behavior. The other fourth grade teachers feel the same way and we have no discipline backup from administration. I guess I am just venting. So sad.

Ninetwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Terrible
Old 04-11-2017, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Why didn't the principal yell at the kids who were not listening??? I will never get this.

Why are you always stuck with the low groups? Can't you rotate? If not, make some suggestions. I would find it really hard to develop a rapport when the groups are always changing.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Ninetwo

Old 04-11-2017, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is near impossible to develop rapport. My own class is great. I am a first year teacher, but older and have been around kids and raised 3. On all of my observations I get distinguished for classroom rapport. So for me to lose it and yell is not good. Our principle never sides with the teachers. That is a huge complaint at this school. I told her I pulled myself together and took a minute. Wrote names on the board and took recess. She said I should have written the kids being good on the board...never mentioned what I should have done about the bad.

Mshope

Principal!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This principal sounds like a joke to me. So did she want you to reward the ones on the board? So you are going to write down 22 names. This is not easy when you are actually teaching! One of our horrible elementary principals was like this. She was a "focus on the positive/ignore negative" type. Well, there were so many issues that she literally got fired. Basically, it got to the point where the police were always at the school and the test scores tanked. I think there were also a few serious accidents and a few well-publicized incidents.

We now do Positive Behavior in our school. Honestly, it has caused nothing but problems. I think praise and treats are okay if they are genuine and given to everyone. When you are writing down the good, the bad are still impacted negatively. (Read Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn for more info.)

I think everyone loses it on occasion. The best VP we ever had in my school heard me reprimanding an insolent student. He came in and said to the kid, "Don't you ever disrespect one of our teachers again. That's a detention!" The kid argued with him and he took him down to the office and suspended him. Believe me, the class settles down fast after something like this. Word spreads around students.

When you have no support from admin., I say band together with teachers. Can you start a lunch detention or silent lunch room that rotates? Can you send disruptive kids to another teacher's room to fill out a think it over sheet? Can you do a reward movie and hold back kids missing work or who are disruptive?
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Ninetwo

Old 05-18-2017, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ugh...this principle never punishes bad behavior! She says they were misunderstood. Or they have a bad home life. How nice it would be to actually have a disrespectful student get reprimanded instead of us teachers always getting it.

One kid slammed another kids head on the ground at recess, she had to go sit in the office for the rest of the afternoon. Her teacher (my teammate) went up there and the girl was asleep. Taking a nap! That was her punishment!