Help

Future Teachers

Really Dislike Student Teaching

>

meggymegs25

Really Dislike Student Teaching
Old 04-14-2017, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am about halfway through my student teaching experience, and I dread going to school every day. To preface, I was really looking forward to being an ST and gaining the classroom experience I need to be a successful teacher. My observations went great and I began developing relationships with the students. Since I have taken over teaching full time, I am getting so much pushback and attitude from them that I don't even want to teach them lessons. They're testing me hardcore. I know they're 8th graders and it's the end of the school year, but I did not expect it to be this miserable. I've voiced my concerns to my CT and Supervisor. They've given me helpful advice, but it hasn't gotten better. My CT's classroom management was average and the students did not seem to respect her that much, but they still listened to her. I know deep down I have the skills to be a great teacher, but it sucks knowing I can't be the teacher I want to be right now. I am just trying to get through the next 6 weeks without a full blown mental breakdown. I've done well during my evaluations, but I feel so discouraged that this was not the scenario I thought it'd be.

My friends seem to be having fun in the classroom, and I am just trying to keep my head above water. I know this is not the grade level I want to teach, but I'm trying to make it work. Whatever I do is lose-lose. I've planned fun and engaging lessons and they take advantage of me at every turn. Rolling their eyes, huffing, and puffing. I try not to engage or make it a power struggle, because I know that'll make things worse. The good relationships and rapport I've developed with the kids went out the window when I took over full time. My CT says "kill them with kindness," but that's not working. I'm trying not to let them see me sweat and the hard part is just making it through the day. The worst part is that I changed careers and went back to school to be a teacher and now people see me struggling at this. I feel like a complete failure. The battle is mostly internal, I know. I'm learning every day and trying to figure things out, but it's hard. I really love kids and have had amazing relationships with young people. But these students see a new, young teacher and want to puff their chests and show how great they are. Anyone have a student teaching experience with students who were constantly testing them? My CT said it took her 2 months to manage them and I don't have that kind of time. Advice please! I don't want to flounder at this, I want to thrive!

meggymegs25 is offline   Reply With Quote

ADean307

Don't let them get to you...
Old 04-30-2017, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 8th grade Science my first three years of teaching. This is a tough age group, which is why I moved down to 5th grade-- do not get discouraged, teaching 8th grade is not for the faint of heart!

Also, at the beginning of every year, no matter the age group, it is challenging because you must be strict and follow through with consequences, routines, etc. to build your rapport with your students. Like your CT said, you don't have that time so you can't beat yourself up or let them make you feel antiquate. Whatever you do, DO NOT them see you sweat, they will pick up on it and things will get much worse.

Keep your head up and take it day-by-day-- you got this!
ADean307 is offline   Reply With Quote