Help

Classroom Management

Touching a child

>

Teatimeteach

Touching a child
Old 04-14-2017, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I hear this so many ways, I don't even know what to think.

I was on the phone with my mother. Told her I felt like a failure because I had to pull a kid out from under a table where he'd been hiding from me and gently push him back into his desk and talk to him about why he should never hide from the teacher and why I needed him to be where I could see him. She said I felt like a failure because I should never have laid hands on a child.

Similarly, I use little touches to the arm or the head as nonverbal cues to kids to work quietly. This is something I was even praised for in an interview as it's nonverbal.

But I've also seen things that say I should never, ever touch a child under any circumstances. Articles and what my mother said.

I'm finishing up my third year and I'm just exhausted at this point.

Teatimeteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Reality
Old 04-15-2017, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The "no touch" thing was drilled into me also by my undergrad university. I make it a point to never touch kids as a rule. HOWEVER, there are times when we are exiting the room and all smashed together than I will put my hand out so they don't ram into me. There are times I will do the "side hug" when they are crying or are former students. I do try to avoid full on hugging, but usually on the last day, ALL of my girls hug me goodbye. I have to admit that I am a person that people hug.

Some people absolutely HATE to be touched. For that reason alone, I avoid touching 99% of people.

Personally, I probably would have yelled at the kid to get up. I think in the future try to avoid touching for your own protection. However, I am not saying that you did anything wrong or hurt this kid. Yet, I probably wouldn't be so nice about this. The students know better.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

Every year, in my district.....
Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are required to watch a video that drills "no touching a student" and another one about the sexual harassment.

We had a brand new teacher who would give front hugs to all her first grade kids. She would say, "but I'm a girl and a mom!" She stopped front hugging after she watched the video.

I read your other post and really blame your administration for putting you in that spot!!

We have a CPI team that is trained to hold students and deal students who are disruptive.

We have a counselor, and several administrators on campus that we can call before it even escalates to that point.

I really encourage you to try finding another position. Nobody deserves to be treated in the manner that you have stated.

I left my previous campus (after 10 years of dealing with a mediocre admin.) and I found a really great campus.

Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote

Droidsub

So dumb...
Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What a society we live in, where there is never any touching whatsoever. I often give fist bumps to kids in my classes, or sometimes I'll give a quick pat on a boy's shoulder as a way of saying good job (I'm a 6-7 man).
Of course, I know there is never to be any inappropriate touching of anyone, ever. But come on already, are my fist bumps out of line? Give me a break. If so, get me out of this profession.
Droidsub is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I probably wouldn't pull a student from out of a desk. I'd either try to coax the student out or ignore them until they were ready to come out. I am careful about my interactions with students but I do hug my students, hold their hands in the hallway, etc. I always ask permission first. If I am disciplining a child, I never put my hand on them. I once worked with somebody who was a great teacher but she held on to a students arm when he was upset and trying to walk away from her and he dislocated his shoulder. Mom called cps and made a big stink over it.

You are not a failure though. Try to come up with a plan of what you will do next time. Good luck!

MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote