Principal is Leaving....should I follow him? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Principal is Leaving....should I follow him?

>

debating

debating

Principal is Leaving....should I follow him?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, all!

My principal (who I have been with for a few years) is leaving our school to go to another school in the district. He pulled me aside and told me. He has always been supportive of me.

I could leave with him.

I am a new/younger teacher (less than 5 years teachingg). I have had enough experience with another principal to know that a principal who doesn't like you can cause you to be miserable, be out of a job, or worse, leave the teaching field entirely. I do not want to leave it to chance that my new principal will know how to handle the climate, parents, or anything else that makes the school so difficult.....or that they will take a liking to me ( I do not suck up to anyone. However, I am genuinely nice, and do not gossip). I already work in a rough neighborhood for a mediocre district (by mediocre, I mean, no tuition reimbursement, or incentives for teachers). The only thing I like about my current school is the location and my classroom size, appearance, and resources. My coworkers are a bunch of backbiters and have thrown me under the bus on numerous occasions. It's just a hostile work environment.

What are the things to consider? Can anyone tell me why they would follow their principal? Can anyone please share what your experience has been in following your principal to their new school?

Thank you in advance

Munchkins

Yes!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since it's in the same district, and you don't care for your colleagues, I would go with him. You have many years left, so go where you will be supported.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

eeza

following principal
Old 04-19-2017, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do it! Good admin are hard to find and you won't lose any of your seniority if you stay in the district. You may not think it's such a great idea in the midst of moving classrooms, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Let us know what you decide!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 04-19-2017, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, I'd go because I think having supportive admin is huge. Just be aware that a new bldg may or may not welcome changes they might implement and that could make the transition slightly harder. Hopefully you will end up in a nicer building.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Debating

Debating

Thank you all
Old 04-19-2017, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you all for responding . Yeah, this is kind of a no-brainer.

Haley23

Old 04-19-2017, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you don't like your team/other coworkers anyway, this seems like an easy decision! The only potentional "con" of following a principal that I can see is that you might have a hard time getting coworkers in the new building to trust you (they might think your P is already "playing favorites" by bringing you over), but again, if you're not really close to your current coworkers anyway, this doesn't seem like it would be a big deal for you.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MsSouthern

Go for it!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm a sub and was subbing with a teacher who was telling me she is following her principal to a new school. It is being built now and will open next school year. She said he is a great admin and doesn't want to chance it with a new admin since she is retiring soon! Just like others have said, good admins are hard to find. Follow your P!
MsSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote

Ali'a

Yes! Go!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A good principal is very hard to find. Go! Go! Go! Don't think twice about it.
Ali'a is offline   Reply With Quote

crystalina

Old 05-02-2017, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with everyone els...follow him!
crystalina is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Follow a Good Princ
Old 05-15-2017, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think this ine is a no-brainer. I was invited to follow a "not-great, but fair princ who appreciated my skills & sense of teamwork and I opted not to due to the longer commute. He understood as I had elderly parents & wanted to be reasonablt close in case of an emergency. But I did want to transfer as our incoming princ had quite a bad reputation. So, I rolled the dice and ended up even FURTHER away w/a likely bipolar princ.
Sigh.
Every choice can be a learning experience, right?
I don't think it made a huge difference in the end. He retired after a year. And my Mom since passed away. Glad I had the little extra time I did.

I'm gonna roll the dice, again. I plan to jump THIS ship, but I don't have a lot of control over where I land. At a point that I'm ready to risk it, tho.

But in your case...Go w/enthusiasm! I had two principals (one retired, one fired) I would've followed ANYwhere. Miss them soooo much.

Last edited by GdHrtdTchr; 05-15-2017 at 03:12 PM..
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 05-16-2017, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yes, yes, go! What an honor to be requested to go with him. Just make sure it's actually certain that you can before you quit. I could never work in a hostile work environment. Good luck!
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

Chalkolate

Old 05-18-2017, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Go! A principal's support is golden. You'll become a better teacher with such support -if you don't take it for granted. Maintain professionalism.

Also, hostile environments impede your growth as a pro. This opportunity may never come again.

I've decided to change schools in order to work with a former, excellent co-teacher who has become a principal.

It's more difficult for me to help my students with this new principal -who doesn't know me, or my work. I'd rather work with someone who knows me. I can learn and grow more with such support.

I love my students and teaching. I'll go anywhere that allows me to grow and to maintain the love. Success to you!
Chalkolate is offline   Reply With Quote