Help

New Teachers

Depressed/I Don't Know if Teaching is for Me

>

BioEducator87

Depressed/I Don't Know if Teaching is for Me
Old 04-21-2017, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all. This is my first full year of teaching and I'm not sure if this is for me. I really want to be a good teacher but I just keep getting discouraged. I don't have any mentor or support from administrators/teachers or anything. I took the alternate route. I had a mentor from my internship class come and observe my class, and after our conversation I left work feeling very discouraged. I just feel like a failure.

BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

dubby

Teaching is suppose to be challenging
Old 04-24-2017, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teaching dynamic and difficult. If it were easy, we would have a surplus of educators.

Well let's take a moment to reflect. What has worked well so far this school year (your strength)? What was one thing you felt that you yourself could improve upon?

Also, what did your "mentor" discussed with you?
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I think the first yr of teaching is really
Old 04-25-2017, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

hard nowadays. You are not a failure. I always marvel that the kids my first yr learned despite me..lol Teaching is like almost anything else in life. You learn a lot as you go....Don't let another person discourage you/ Try to find a nice, experienced teacher or take some fun classes to help you save some energy and learn new ideas. Each yr you will gain more confidence. I'll bet by your 3rd to 5th yr, you'll feel like a pro. It just takes time, learning, and practice! Best wishes!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Shweta

Old 05-04-2017, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am currently taking the alternate route. I know I would be having some mentor during internship. I am switching fields from Engineering to Teaching because of my passion for teaching. Sometimes, I wonder if I would do good.

Any profession takes some time to get used to. I have seen all of my friends cry and get discouraged on the first year of their jobs. I do believe I am going to go through the same thing.

Be strong! Let's discuss about new ideas. Let's reflect on how to improve. I'm sure one day, you would be proud of yourself!
Shweta is offline   Reply With Quote

SocratesLntrn

First Year
Old 06-19-2017, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi there, The first year is the hardest. Don't be so tough on yourself. Don't let someone else's opinion make you feel like a failure. It really does take time. What's important is that you WANT to be a good teacher. What went on this year in class that has made you feel this way. Perhaps you can learn from it. If there's anything I can do to help, just holler.

SocratesLntrn is offline   Reply With Quote
GstTeach

GstTeach

The Expectations of Teachers Today...
Old 09-26-2017, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

are absolutely ridiculous. And not to engage in defeatism, but this is precisely the conclusion I had reached in my first year of teaching. In fact, I have just created a thread describing my experience, which I hope gets posted on this site. In it, I go into details. But I feel this way: if you don't see a future in the teaching profession, then just admit it to yourself. It does students an incredible disservice having a teacher who isn't fully committed.

I quit my teaching job after only 4 months of teaching. Like you, I had no mentor teacher. I also had 29 students, a second-grade team of incompetent teachers who weren't helpful, and they didn't know any more about high-quality teaching than I did. The principal was also new to the school and new to administration. She obviously had something to prove to her superiors at the sacrifice of everyone else. And so, the pressure she felt from the top trickled down on all us teachers like the falling stones of a mountain. Having said this, I don't regret a single day leaving such an awful and ridiculous experience. If this is what teaching is about today, then they can have it.

When I started substituting back in 2001, schools weren't doubling up class sizes on one teacher. Now, the average is 1 teacher to every 30 students...RIDICULOUS. Who can manage that and have a life outside of work????!!!??? And it's not a coincidence that as the expectations of teachers get more and more unrealistic, the teacher shortage rises and class size increases. Why can't school systems see the correlation? Listen, I'm now back to subbing. Ad if I don't like a school for any reason at all, then I don't have to return to it. Period! I'd rather sub than be a teacher for one second.
Suggestion

Suggestion

Beginning Teacher Support
Old 09-30-2017, 01:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In some districts there is an agreement between the teachers' union and the district to establish a program devoted to retaining newly-hired teachers. Participants benefit from weekly meetings with mentors, meetings with other new teachers, and release days for special training, etc. Experienced teachers are actually paid to serve as mentors in the program that supports newbies for their first 2-3 years. Perhaps you can discuss this with the union president to see if there's interest in getting such a program started. You don't have to be a member of the union to do this.

MrsGrizzie

Agree
Old 10-23-2017, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

GstTeach, I agree. You are so right. I knew after my first year of teaching that it wasn't for me. I'm in my third year of teaching, and I agree that it is a disservice to students, but I can't quit just yet. Last year, I had 31 students in a physics class and I ended up doing more chaos control than anything. If I ever gave them classwork problems, I had to answer question after question. It was exhausting. And my mentor teacher is a cranky old veteran who expects me to know everything. Well I don't. I've been treading water all this time.

I'm glad to hear that you don't regret leaving. I hope to leave soon, and I can't wait for that day. I want to be happy again. To have a social life and maybe a family. Teaching is a forsake all kind of job. We are expected to forsake self and family for our students. I'm sorry, but I don't want my legacy to be wasted on kids I don't like. I had a few teachers who I really enjoyed that helped me out, but there are a lot of teachers that I barely remember a single second in their class. So teaching is so not worth it. I believe that there are other ways to make a difference in someone's life.
MrsGrizzie is offline   Reply With Quote