Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Title 1 - what do I need to know?

>

FLSun

Title 1 - what do I need to know?
Old 04-22-2017, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looking at possibly moving to a title 1 school. While I know that things are different at title 1 schools, I just don't know exactly what those differences are and what the extra workload entails.

FLSun is offline   Reply With Quote

rallsco

Schoolwide Title 1
Old 04-29-2017, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach in a schoolwide Title 1 school, which most are in our area. If being schoolwide is what you're referring to, then having a high proportion of students on free lunch allows a school to apply for this designation. For us, it's less work instead of more. We no longer have to serve only targeted students or provide justification for the students selected for service. We are able to serve any student at any time. This allows for flexible grouping. As an example, I push in to the kindergarten room. I work with every student in the room, although I focus more on the strugglers. In fourth grade, I've been taking specific targeted groups for a week at a time. So instead of having my one standard group, I might pull the ones needing intervention on a specific reading skill until they have shown mastery on the common assessment of that skill. Then I can adjust the group members to focus on a different skill.

Maybe being a schoolwide Title 1 school means something different in your area, but that's how it works for us.
rallsco is offline   Reply With Quote

Eliza

Some pieces
Old 04-30-2017, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I work in a Title I school as well. I am not one of the Title I teachers, though I share a room with one. The Title I teachers have to do additional paperwork, though I'm not 100% sure what it entails. I know they have to account for how their time is spent.

They are also required to put together events that occur outside of school hours that involve parents and students learning together. We hold two reading events, a math/STEM night, a state-testing information session, etc.

If you're moving to a Title I school as a regular teacher, there is no extra work (at least at my school). If you're moving to a Title I school as a Title I teacher, I'm not sure it's more work than a regular classroom position. It's different work. You don't have a homeroom. You're not doing report cards. You're not contacting 25 parents. You're not organizing field trips, etc.
Eliza is offline   Reply With Quote