Future Teachers

cooperating teacher

>

mickeynmicke

mickeynmicke

cooperating teacher
Old 04-23-2017, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am college student almost done with the my teaching degree. I was observing in a middle school with this teacher for 2 months. Another day went by and I was in another classroom and some students went back to this teacher and said I said she was a terrible teacher and all the discerning comments. I never said anything like this. Anyway she called my college and told them, now I might get kicked out of the program and get F for a grade. Do I have rights my reputation is shot. Please advise.

BritishPanda

How did you find out?
Old 05-04-2017, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So let me get this straight. A teacher you observed was told by students that you said she was a terrible teacher and you are now being kicked out of a program bc she called your college. All this happened while the college and teacher didn't even talk to you first about the incident.

How did you find out that they were going to kick you out of the program and all this happened? Is this for student teaching? The best thing you can do is write down everything you do for those days. Write down what you did and said at all the times. Documentation can help you in your case, but you need to contact your college's field experience placement office immediately and use all your documentation to back up your claim you never said any of that stuff. Most importantly it will show on the record the teacher NEVER talked to you about what was said about her. If your college placement or education department doesn't do anything, do let them know you will talk to the college president or administration.

Colleges like to say "oh its hard to support you when you say stuff like that" or things similar to that. Don't buy that at all! The college is suppose to be on your side and be investigating claims like this. They want you to succeed and a good program will do everything humanly possibly to make sure you have a good experience. This also applies to colleges that have long time partnerships with the district or school. I know colleges grade the professionalism for teacher, but that is entirely subjective. If a teacher doesn't like you, they can use professionalism as a "reason" to fail a student teacher. I've seen it happen several time especially among my teaching friends.

Point is you do have rights and you don't deserve to get your reputation to be destroyed. Especially if the college isn't giving you a chance to defend yourself. Since you didn't do this, you shouldn't give up and won't be going down without a fight.

Personally this teacher who you observed is stupid if she listens to middle school students on why she's a terrible teacher. If you believe what a kid says and doesn't TALK to you to verify if it is true, that says a lot about her character as well as her intelligence level. However this is a learning experience since it shows the dark side of teaching. Teachers like the teacher you observed are the reason I'm glad I don't have to deal with that stuff anymore.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
ImTired21345

ImTired21345

I feel you
Old 05-17-2017, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Like other PP said, document everything from now on. You do have rights. I do not know if it is possible, but still try to speak to a union rep at the school you are student-teaching. Who knows, maybe he/she may help.