Help

Classroom Management

Help! I don't think I can make it!

>

Marcee

Help! I don't think I can make it!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are a month and a few weeks from the end of the school year. This week we are starting our state testing. My 4th graders are absolutely out of control whenever we do anything fun. I can't even show a video to have them quiet down! I have one student who talks over everything (when do we stop making excuses for kids with ADHD, etc.?). He is very popular with the other students, and gets everyone going. He's not the only one, either. There are about 6-7 kids who just refuse to stop talking. When I use my quiet signal, they don't react. As soon as I open my mouth to give an instruction they are talking again. They are constantly out of their seats and making noise. Whenever we have fun science experiments, or art, or active games it gets so loud I can't stand it!

I have been teaching for a LONG TIME (over 20 yrs) and this is the first class I have had like this in many years. I have also changed grade levels this year and am teaching this grade for the first time. I feel like I am to blame, and I get very disheartened. How can I make it through?

Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

dubby

I can sympathize
Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You've made this far so you must have been doing it right! A month is not really that far off. We're just cognitively exhausted as much as these kiddos.
dubby is offline   Reply With Quote

detra

Old 04-29-2017, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am looking forward to responses. I have taught for years also, and am appalled by the level of disrespect from one of my classes. They make noises, arrive to class late, talk during test, out of seat, giggle at everything including me raising my voice!
detra is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

I hear you
Old 04-30-2017, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Absolutely! This is what drives me crazy. I can't get a word in edgewise. If I begin to give instructions, they interrupt, talk to each other, mess around in their desks. Then after I (finally) get the instructions out, a few of them say, "wait--what are we supposed to do?" Amazing amount of disrespect! Their parents are just as bad--perhaps worse. Sign of the times, I guess.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote