Career Decisions

Decision help!!

>

Confused95

Confused95

Decision help!!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher at a Catholic school. While I love my school, it pays about $10,000 a year less than surrounding public schools. That didn't bother me before, because I only teach 2 subjects (departmentalized) and have an assistant, so I am a lot less busy than a public school teacher.

Now, they decided to change it to self contained. I never planned on being at this school more than 2 or 3 years, but I am thinking about trying to leave after this year. My though is that now this is as much work as a public school teacher, just for way less money. Also, I am not Catholic, and feel very out of place here.

My question is, if I do apply to other schools, should I tell my principal I have applied to other schools? My fear is that I will tell her and then I won't get another job, so next year will be pretty awkward. Help!!

cabrini6285

Old 05-02-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was in your shoes before. I did not tell them and the only time they found out was because the new school called for a reference. In my experience, that is what happens.
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

crystalina

Old 05-02-2017, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is exactly what I did.

It worked out well for me. My advice is DON'T tell them you are leaving and just start applying!
crystalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Confused95

Confused95

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think I will apply for other jobs. Who did you use for references? I don't think I want to use the teachers I work with, because I told them I was staying and don't want to be like "just kidding I am trying to leave". I can still use my university supervisor, and a teacher I used to sub for.

kpossible518

Same Boat
Old 05-09-2017, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was in the exact same position as you. I worked in a Jewish school (I'm not Jewish) and I only taught math and science, and I was/am making less money than I would be in a public school near me. I had applied to a couple of schools and used two of my co-workers who I became very close with the last 3 years who I also knew were looking for employment elsewhere. Thankfully, I just accepted an offer from another school a few days ago and told my boss yesterday that I will be leaving. The school I'm in now has a high turnover rate for teachers so my principal kind of expects that all her teachers will work for a little while and then leave for bigger and better things.

Ultimately, my suggestion is if you have any trusted coworkers, ask them to be a reference and/or write you a letter of recommendation. If you tutor or work at a summer school/camp get them to also be a reference and/or write you a letter of recommendation. College professors are also a great source of reference.

I would not tell your principal that you are applying elsewhere until you have been offered and accepted another position; and at that point I would tell your principal once the paperwork is finalized with the new position so that you are being fair in giving your principal plenty of time to find your replacement but also so that you know the new job is secure in case your principal is angry that you were even looking anywhere else.

I hope that helps! Good luck on the job hunt!

kpossible518 is offline   Reply With Quote