Fourth Grade

Classroom Library Checkout

>

guest 2017

guest 2017

Classroom Library Checkout
Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in need of a new library checkout system. I would prefer an online based check out system, as the writing down system is taking way too much time.

I also need to revamp my classroom library organization. I have been using baskets, but it seems it may be too young of an organization for my students.

I have been teaching for over a decade and I want to revamp my systems, but need suggestions for what works in your classrooms.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

kellie88

Classroom BookSource
Old 04-26-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have used this site in the past with success.
kellie88 is online now   Reply With Quote

arctichare

No Headaches
Old 04-26-2017, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Honestly, I do not use a check out system. I tell the kids to take them, read them, and return them. If I lose a book or two per year, I don't fret. It saves so much time and work.
arctichare is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 04-26-2017, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was just going to post this exact same question. I've stopped letting the kids check out of our classroom library and have kept them to online reading and daily trips to our school library. I don't have any tips as this is totally one of my weak points, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote
originalpost

originalpost

Old 04-28-2017, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the suggestions. I think I need to think about my goals for having a classroom library.

Linda/OH

classroom library checkout
Old 04-29-2017, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If students take them home, they just write it on a sign out sheet. For use in class, no checkout needed.

Yes, I have lost books through the years. But at least they're in the hands of kids.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

dianemcq

Library Organization
Old 04-30-2017, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't have students check out their books. Tried it and it was just an additional job for ME. But I do have a great organizational system that I mainly got the idea for from Donalyn Miller (The Book Whisperer). I have general category baskets, specific baskets for certain authors, specific baskets for popular topics (sports, horses, etc. ) and specific baskets for popular book series.

I put round stickers on each book cover with the number of the basket it belongs in...but here's the great part. There can be more than one basket with the same number. For example, I think I have four baskets for realistic fiction, so they all have the same number and a book can be returned to any of them. If you add more books in a certain category it's no problem!

#0-9 are my general genre baskets, #11-19 are for specific topics, #20-29 for book series, and #30-39 for specific authors. There are some numbers that aren't even used for baskets yet but are available for the future if needed.

Donalyn recommended using the clear plastic shoe boxes (without lids) for book bins.
dianemcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Library Organization
Old 04-30-2017, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've organized my library in many different ways over the years. Here's what works for me (elementary, both primary and upper grade):

1) Don't have a checkout system. It makes more work for you.
2) Label your books - Picture Books, Reference, Nonfiction (I used to have it separated by subject, and may go back to that), Fiction (we use AR, so I have it separated by level), Series (Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, etc).
3) Get the clear shoeboxes or other plastic baskets and label them with the subject.
4) Let the kids take books from the library! My rule is they have to have one book at their desk at all times, which eliminates problems when I get a phone call, or a visitor enters the room to talk to me.

Have a basket in the library for students to return books when they finish. Once a week or so, go through it (or have a really responsible student do it), and reshelve the books in the correct place. It takes 5 minutes of my time if I have to do it, and it's well worth it.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

I agree with the ideas here
Old 04-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't make them check books out. I lose some, but kids bring me in books they don't read any more for the library, so I figure it evens out.

I number my baskets and number the books. I love this because the kids can organize the library and it takes about 5 minutes!

I organize by genre in baskets and some favorite authors. I have some baskets by level.

Kids have to have: one book they just finished, one book they are reading now, one book on deck, one "stolen moments" book (nonfiction, magazine, poetry, etc. to be read if they finish something early). They are not allowed to shop during reading time.
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

No check out
Old 05-01-2017, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with the above posters. I have limited my classroom library this year, because so many of my students abuse books. They have access to the school library and to my classroom library. There is always a book available to read, just not hundreds to search through in my classroom.

knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

melhengen

Old 05-03-2017, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Me too. It is an amazing site. I also assign 4 students to be the classroom librarians and they do all the work. Check out, return, shelf the books, help students find books they are looking for. I have the app on the 4 students Ipads and they do it during the day when they have time or right after lunch (silent reading time) when we are waiting for lunch workers to return.
melhengen is offline   Reply With Quote

TLC

Old 05-14-2017, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach second.
Each child has a book box and keeps 5-7 books in it for independent reading. Books from my room stay at school.
Books from the school's library can go home or stay. They get to check out books twice a week from the school library and whenever in the room.
I no longer do a check out system, and yes I probably lose a few books a year. But I would even without a system. It simply isn't worth the time or effort.

I do have a few voracious readers who want to take one of mine home on occasion-they just write it on a notecard and show me the book when it comes back. Once in awhile I even have students from previous years come ask for a book-Goosebumps, wrestling, and Boxcar Children.
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote

EImom

Library check out
Old 05-27-2017, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I went through this struggle last year. I spent some time during vacation creating my library on the online website. Some of the books I owned were not in their system so I had to input them myself. After all that work I used it the first week of school only. I also had 3 iPads and kids helping check in and out but something went wrong with wifi and other days we just didn't have time to go through the process. At this point I save time and worries! Just let them take a book, read it, and bring it back.
EImom is offline   Reply With Quote

TexAg2000

Library check out
Old 05-29-2017, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I always agreed with the no check out system (I'm a huge Book Whisperer fan) until this year. I keep a spreadsheet of all my books, mostly to know what I have when I'm shopping for new books. Last week I went through and inventoried my books before packing them up for the summer. I found out I'm missing over 120 books from my fiction section. 120 BOOKS!!! I am totally ok with losing a few each year, but I am beyond upset about this. I've sent home emails and notes and parents asking to look everywhere (all my books have my name on them), and we have cleaned out lockers and backpacks searching. We have found 20 in the last week, so I'm still missing just over 100 books. We have three days of school left and it doesn't look like I'm getting any more back. This represents hundreds and hundreds of dollars out of my own pocket. This has been the hardest group of kids I've ever had, and this is just pouring lemon juice on the paper cut!

So I definitely am doing some kind of check out system next year. I haven't decided if I'm going to try an electronic system or an old-fashioned sign-out system. I would love to try the hand-held scanner that you can plug into a computer, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money. Anyone have experience with those?
TexAg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Al_e_Kat

Definitely Classroom Booksource
Old 07-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I started using this several years ago. It's amazing! The hardest part is the initial setup of getting all of your books into your online library, but after that it is pretty simple. I LOVE it! And honestly, they make entering your books into the library about as simple as you can get. You download the app onto your phone or iPad and it has a bar code scanner that will scan most newer books. Some of my books that are much older took some hand entering, but really it was fairly simple as well. After that, you just enter a class list with a little icon for each of them every year and set your settings and let them do the rest! I set it so they can only check out two books at a time. They just login and check the books in and out themselves and they LOVE it!

I can have it send me notifications, or I can basically ignore it most of the time. They enjoy checking out the books themselves, and the searches are super easy and they can find the books even when you look for just a single word from a title of a book. I HIGHLY recommend it!

I always just order my books by A.R. reading level, because that's the reading program we use and I make the kids check out within their reading range, so it's what works best for me. Kids can easily check levels and the librarians can help me rearrange books when they start getting messy. (Helps them order by decimals anyway! ) I do have a few sections of book series that are separate.

Seriously, the initial set up is the hardest part...but it's nice to have a record of all of your books on file anyway! They don't scan the books to check them out or anything, so it's really very low maintenance. I struggled big time with the pencil and paper check out. Too messy and hard to keep up with. This really is easy and worth the time, in my opinion! I've used it for the past 3 or 4 years and absolutely love it!
Al_e_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote