Help

School Mental Health

13 Reasons Why

>

cardnialteach

13 Reasons Why
Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone dealing with this new Netflix series at their schools? It was brought to our attention that our students are talking about it and possibility watching. We are on alert again. I already have a few students that we have been talking with and watching all year. Parents are involved as well. With only 15 more days of school our concern is the fact that summer is coming and no one will be monitoring daily like we are now. Our superintendent is going to send out a letter soon addressing this to all parents 5-12. More for a public service announcement. I know we are not the only school dealing with this, I found an article on from ABC about other schools figuring out how to handle to newest of the movie. I see both sides of the argument. It could be a teaching moment IF kids were watching with parents and conversations were happening, but that is not always what is going on. My own 13 asked to watch the movie on Netflix. She thinks it is just a mystery show, not fully grasping what it is truly about. We will be having talks about the topic, but probably not watching the show. Just trying to get an idea how widespread this is or isn't right now.

cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-26-2017, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hey Cardnial! Good to see you This link may contain some helpful information as well.

http://www.nasponline.org/resources-...-for-educators

Since I'm not currently in a school setting, I haven't seen this happening in the school. My 13yo daughter knows what it's about, but it doesn't sound like her friends are watching. However she did know a fair amount about it (more than me).
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hey- any update?

Here are some additional resources if anyone else is looking:

Prevent Suicide CT - www.preventsuicidect.org

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention www.afsp.org

Suicide Prevention Resource Center www.sprc.org

Joyful Heart Foundation sexual assault resources www.joyfulheartfoundation.org

The Date Safe Project www.datesafeproject.org

http://www.nasponline.org/resources-...-for-educators

https://www.save.org/13-reasons-why/

http://700childrens.nationwidechildr...etflix-series/

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/

cardnialteach

Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our superintendent put a generic message on our school site and was going to send a letter home to all students 5-12 addressing this particular series. Just giving parents a heads up and allow them some of the talking points. I have been watching or listening to the episodes periodically just to know exactly what it shows or talks about so I can have knowledge if I need to use the talking points myself. As for students in our actual building, we have not heard any talk from students in the halls or classes. Those students that were already on our watch list, we continue to monitor and check on. We are aware, but are not changing things drastically. If we did the students would know something is up and that could cause more disruption in our building. We have 7 1/2 days left in school. Suicide is something we don't take lightly and was on top of this long before 13 Reasons Why came out on Netflix. A few years ago one of our students at the HS committed suicide. His brother is currently an 8th grader in my building. Just continuing to do what I do the best I can.
cardnialteach is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-06-2017, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Keep on keeping on! Sounds like it's going ok and you guys are monitoring. We (parents) just got a letter from the high school around the show. I'm surprised the middle school didn't send one out also.