Help

ARCHIVE

Tattling

>

luv2shop

Tattling
Old 09-21-2007, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay.....so I have SEVERAL tattle tails in my class. Does anyone have great advice on how to stop the tattling? I have asked time and time again that they do not tattle unless someone has hurt them. Though I know words can hurt....the amount of tattles I hear on a daily basis is overwhelming!

HELP!!!!!!

luv2shop is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

Complaint Box
Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year I experienced this with first graders and decided to put out a complaint box (Scrap paper and golf pencils). Students could write down their complaint(s) only at designated times (after recess and lunch) on the slips of paper and place them in the box. This also reinforced writing skills, which they did not enjoy. Some of their complaints made me laugh and cry.
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

hkinner

I did the same thing.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also set up a box in the classroom where the students had to write down their tattles. Once I told them to get a piece of paper they stopped right away. They did not want to take the time to write it down for me. I told them that they can only tattle if someone is hurt or someone is going to get hurt.
hkinner is offline   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

Tattle Box
Old 09-21-2007, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I created a tattle box. Unless it was an emergency (you have to train them to tell the difference between trying to get people in trouble and trying to help.) everything had to be written down and placed in the tattle box. Every Friday, I would read the tattle with misspellings and all. All tattle were anonymous. No one was to put their name on the tattle.
After a couple of weeks of reading the tattles out loud and having the class laugh, the tattling eventually stopped as did the number of tattles in the tattle box. The students were kept so busy that they didn't have time to tattle. Tattles could only be written during your free time. By the time that rolled around, the student has usually forgotten what they wanted to write.
The previous posters were right. Once they tired of writing, it stopped.
One of my co-workers made a huge ear and posted it on a wall. If you wanted to tattle, you had to whisper it into the ear. She said that it worked because some students were embarassed to be seen talking to a big paper ear.
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

annie ann

Ditto
Old 09-21-2007, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did the same thing lasyear and it reduce the tattling in my room drastically. This year I have a class that is much nicer to each other (knock on wood) , so I don't think I;ll be using it.

annie ann is offline   Reply With Quote

aliryan

Tattling
Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had a class that was always telling on eachother. We had a
tattle-a-day. I would listen to only one from each student a day. Before they could tell me I would ask them if they really wanted to use it up now- what if something more important happens. They would usually wait (and forget). This cut down a lot of tattling.
aliryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

I remember
Old 09-22-2007, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I remember the Proteacher who put up a poster of "Uncle Sam" and when there was a tattle she said "go tell Uncle Sam" (and some did)!

I model difference between tattling and an emergency. I played the student, and a child was the teacher. As she wanders the room "on supervision" I follow her with the most outlandish "tattles', making everyone laugh, occasionally I tell an emergency. The kids are allowed to call out (for this lesson) "just a tattle!" or "emergency!" Then we discussed what kinds of things the teacher needed to know, and what were "just a tattle". From that day on I would interrupt the telling to say "is this an emergency or JUST a tattle"? They caught on.

I do the same modeling activity to show them how a whiny voice sounds. I tell them as you become an adult your ear absolutely cannot stand the whiny sound, and you are unable to listen or do what is wanted by the whiner. Then I whine all kinds of things to them, making it sound almost as bad as nails on a chalkboard. Later,I when they use that voice I can remind them "Adults cannot listen to that" when they whine.

Love and Logic lessons suggest another response that also works. "Oh My, what are YOU going to do now?" They usually have a good idea what to do next from my playground behavior lessons in health class. They say "I'm going to ignore it" or "I'm going to tell him to stop it" or "I'm going to tell him my idea to take turns". You say "Good idea" and off they go, with the power to deal with their own issues.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Tattlers
Old 09-22-2007, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Whenever my first graders come to tattle at recess, I tell them the parties involved to go sit on the bench and work it out. When they have it worked out, they can come and tell me how they worked it out. This puts the responsibility back on their shoulders and teaches them skills to work out their differences.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

brownbear

Tattling
Old 09-22-2007, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Tattling is a natural part of being a first grader. I usually listen to my first graders and then ask them "What can you say to your friend?" or
"Did you tell your friend how you felt?". This way I'm helping the children learn ways to help themselves within the classroom. If you ignore the child, then you are teaching them that their concerns are not important. Therefore, the annoying tattling continues in the classroom.
brownbear is offline   Reply With Quote

GoTeachers

Old 09-22-2007, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

A coworker would say: Is there a fire, flood or blood? She taught them, as a previous poster said, what an emergency was and then when they'd come up to her she'd just say the above and they eventually figured out what they should come to her with and what they shouldn't. Another friend has a picture of the G.W. Bush on the wall and tells them to go tell the President.

GoTeachers is offline   Reply With Quote

I Teach First

In or Out
Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do the tattle bucket thing. The only time I will listen is in an emergency. We discuss when you can tattle-only when you are trying to get someone out of trouble, not in trouble. The slips in the bucket are hilarious. Thursday I had a little girl that was as mad as a hornet. She stayed that way for 15 minutes waiting on free time to write. During free time, she marched to the bucket, wrote, then slammed the paper into the bucket. After that, she was fine. I waited until the kiddos went to recess and pulled it out. All it said was TATIL (tattle). Whatever makes her feel better!

PS I never let them see me read them. Sometimes I check it everyday, sometimes I wait a week. It is really just for my entertainment.
I Teach First is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

when I student taught---
Old 09-23-2007, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

my mentor teacher put up a wall for "good tattles" It was a wall to tell on people for the good things they did. IT worked! It was for second grade...maybe in first they could draw (especially at the beginning ) their good tattle and write the name of the friend they were tattling about????

Another teacher friend...kindergarten....did "tattle time" at the beginning of recess time she would announce, ok, we have time for tattling now. She had all the kids sit in a circle and would call on them to tattle...at the end of each one she would say "well, we have x minutes left for recess....who has another tattle?" She said they learned REALLY fast that they'd rather play then tattle....if a child came up to her to tattle at another time she'd say, save it for tattle time!

mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote

Teaching1st

Tattle tickets
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I made my students tattle tickets - it was just their name on an index card and I wrote _________'s Tattle Ticket in colorful marker. I then laminated them and gave them to the kids. If they wanted to tattle they had to turnin their ticket. If they still had their ticket on Friday they were able to have Friday Freetime early. Anyone that had to turn in their tattle ticket to me during the week had to spend the first five minutes of free time thinking/journaling a way that they could have solved their issue without tattling. If they turned in their tattle ticket and still insisted on tattling more than the one time then I would keep tallies of the extra tattles and it was 5 minutes out for every tattle. I have to say in the 3 months I used it I only had 1 child sit out of free time for 5 minutes. They caught on quickly and it saved me lots of time. Of course we had to work on a tattle vs. a problem that needed my attention before the system started.
Teaching1st is offline   Reply With Quote

CindyLynn

Hurtful or Helpful
Old 09-26-2007, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

When a student tattles, I say "Are you telling me this to help student's name or to hurt him/her?" If they respond with "help them" I ask "how do you think you could help ____?" If they respond with "hurt them" I acknowledge the student's honesty (some do admit that their reason for tattling isn't honorable!) and then we move on to "how do you think you could help____?" Tattling has decreased alot because the focus is on helping others do better (and repeat tattlers soon realize that I will be asking the "helpful/hurtful" question!)
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

tigmil

Tattle Book
Old 09-29-2007, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

One year I used a Tattle Book, which was like the Tattle Boxes already described. A fellow teacher was reading it one day during a meeting (in my room). She found the following quite lol funny.
One day a kid wrote "Bryan said Susie is crazy."
A couple of days later a kid wrote "Bryan said the teacher is crazy."
Soon after that a kid wrote "Bryan said everyone is crazy."

A fellow teacher this year uses "Mrs. Green." Mrs Green is a green plant in the room. When someone needs to tattle, she says, "Go tell it to Mrs. Green!"
tigmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Curious Me

Curious Me

Tattling Teacher Problem
Old 10-12-2007, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I think I have a case of a Tattling Kindergarten Teacher! She sends notes home every week about my daughter misbehaving. Usually that she talks too much or says things that are out of line. This weeks note was that she tattles all the time. Ok, I am well aware that this is probably all true BUT as a parent, how am I suppose to deal with it after the fact?

Yes, I talk to my daughter about it but for the most part, isn't such behaviour suppose to be dealt with at the moment it happens? I feel that it's up to the teacher to know how to correct things like over talking & tattling from happening in thier classroom.

I admire teachers that are good at what they do but I also know teachers are human & unfortunately all of them aren't suited for being teachers. Teachers, you know this is all too true.

I'd appreciate it if someone could PLEASE clue me in on how I can best respond to this situation of a "Tattling Teacher". Parent/Teacher conferences are in two weeks! Help.