Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

BIG Change was asked of me

>

puzzle1mom

BIG Change was asked of me
Old 04-28-2017, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching fifth grade for the past 8 years. I was teaching math for several years straight and my students standardized test scores went up considerably. My principal spoke with me this morning and wanted to know if I would consider moving to teach 7th/8th grade math next year since he was so pleased with my students' results over the last few years. He feels confident that I will do well with this. I gathered a lot of materials from other teachers to look over, but I am nervous. I am in a Catholic K-8 school and I already know most of the students that I will be teaching if I take the position. Basically, I'd be teaching the 8th grade curriculum since the 7th grade would be the honors class. Any help/suggestions/advice is welcome. I have loved teaching fifth, but I am absolutely open to moving to middle school. I know many of the middle school teachers know about this possibility and they are encouraging me to move, but this is a HUGE change for me. I'd also have to take the state certification exam to add middle school math.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

esl

Good opportunity
Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

But ask if you can move back to Elementary if you decide middle school is not for you.
esl is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

kids in GATE
Old 04-29-2017, 02:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If this were in a public system, I would consider the number of students for next year granted that it varies from year to year. Will you require training to use any curricular materials like IXL math? Is it okay if it's a trial basis or is the move permanent? Are you able to go back to your old assignment if you want to? Sometimes, getting buttered up works on some people for whatever reason(s).
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote