Help

Future Teachers

verbs

>

bethlehem1977

verbs
Old 09-21-2007, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am being observed teaching my third grade class a lesson about action verbs. Does anyone have any ideas for a fun motivating lesson.

bethlehem1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

mombktt

verb salad or charades
Old 09-21-2007, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have the kids generate a list of verbs and add your own ( I do this the day before), then cut up the verbs and put them in a large bowl. The kids use salad tongs to spoon out some into a styrofoam bowl at their desk. Then they need to make a story, or sentences with the verbs.

Or use the bowl of verbs for charades and the guesser has to use the verb and the person's name in a complete sentence when they guess! My classes have always loved these! Good luck!
mombktt is offline   Reply With Quote

ILoveToTeach

Old 09-22-2007, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am student teaching in third grade also and had my first observation this week teaching a lesson on adverbs. My supervisor loved the lesson, so I will share with you what I did to teach my students all about adverbs.

I first found a book that told all about adverbs to read to my class. Brian Cleary and Ruth Heller are two authors that you may consider. They both have written a series of books about the parts of speech. I used Brian Cleary's book Nearly, Dearly, Insincerely: What Is an Adverb?

After reading the book to the class, I had students discuss what they had learned about adverbs. Next, I had students work with sentences in which they had to identify adverbs. Finally, I had the students volunteer to come to the front of the class and choose two cards. One card had a verb written on it, the other card had an adverb written on it. The student then had to act out the not only the action, but the action in the way the adverb they had chosen modified it. Students that were seated were required to guess the verb and the adverb. (a version of charades, as the previous poster suggested)

Not only did the students love this lesson, but so did my university supervisor and my cooperating teacher. This lesson could easily be adapted to teaching action verbs.

Good luck!
ILoveToTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa

Old 09-23-2007, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use Peter Combe's songs 'Wash Your Face in Orange Juice' (also kknown as 'Mr. Clickety Cane') and 'The Walking Song' to learn about verbs. Both of his albums, 'Toffee Apple' and 'Spaghetti Bolagnese' are available from Amazon. I get the kids to listen to the song, then we list the verbs in it, then we listen again (lyric sheets come in handy!) and then we complete a page where we have ti identify and fill in the verbs.

Hope that helps!
Tessa
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote