Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

$1000 to spend

>

dusty

$1000 to spend
Old 05-08-2017, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any ideas on how to spend it? I teach first grade. Are chrome books a good idea or is there a similar laptop that would work well in first grade? Any other ideas? So far I'm thinking of purchasing an ipevo document camera, a new carpet, and some nonfiction leveled books. We don't have a writing curriculum, would purchasing the lucy calkins writing units be helpful?
thanks

Last edited by dusty; 05-08-2017 at 01:29 PM..
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-08-2017, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am jealous! I'm sure many of us are.

A doc cam is indispensible. I also like to spend money like that on quality games and manipulatives that can help with both academics and fine motor skills (as well as let them play!). Those babies still need that practice! Is there something you've been wanting for your room? Getting quality furniture and storage is also wonderful.

What a lovely problem!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote
TexasTeach25

TexasTeach25

money
Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was in the same position you were in a few years back and I so regret how I spent my money! i bought way too many consumables. I think you have a lot of good ideas!

i couldn't live without my document camera...do it! a new classroom rug would also be a GREAT purchase.
if you are buying leveled books, i strongly recommend checking out pioneer valley publishers. their books are our favorites! if you don't have a writing curriculum, the lucy units would be a great purchase!! they are AWESOME! you can also find her old units SUPER cheap on Amazon if you wanted to try it before you committed to the higher price tag of the new units.

some other fun things to buy:
- class set of rekenreks/math racks, or at least a teacher-sized one ( so great for 1st grade!)
- building toys (Knex, straws and connectors, legos, wooden unit blocks)
- an awesome read aloud book collection
- 2 copies of the same book (e.g. Fly Guy, Henry and Mudge, Poppleton, Frog and Toad, etc) to make "same book sets" for reading partners to read the same book at the same time.

if you don't already have an easel, I would consider buying one of those, too! Hope this helped.

Keltikmom

$ to spend
Old 05-09-2017, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes on the document camera. I assume you have a laptop, screen and table for it all?

Multiple copies of books if you do readers workshop.

No to Lucy Calkins unless you plan on doing all the training. The books alone can be overwhelming.

What about a subscription to GoNoodle or a social studies magazine. I use News Weekly. (I think that's what it's called...maybe Studies Weekly? I'm not at school right now.)
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

document camera is great
Old 06-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here's some ideas to use it
https://www.edutopia.org/discussion/...ocument-camera

Don't forget you need a projector for the document camera to work. I discovered that the hard way when I ordered the first one in my school!

I'm a great believer in having lots and lots of leveled books for guided reading groups and independent reading along with having the supporting manipulatives for the math curriculum.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 06-03-2017, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Awesome!

I think it all depends on what you have available at your school. I would first do a quick inventory of what is available to you. Personally, I would focus on old fashioned essentials before technology.

In first grade the highest priority is learning to read so if you don't have quality leveled guided reading books, I would focus on that. At my new school, there were hardly any good choices for DRA level L or M and buying a variety of titles of these was $500.

Next, I would focus on essential math manipulatives:
Base Ten Blocks
Play Money
Counters
Dice
Fraction Strips
Geometric Solids
Hundreds Chart
Number Line
Playing Cards
Timer
Unifix Cubes
White Boards

Have fun shopping!
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

Old 06-04-2017, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with doing an inventory of resources that your school already has.

I did not know that our school has a huge room with leveled readers from previous adoptions!!! I teach first and got tons of kinder decodable books and big books.

Yes, to the document camera and projector. What about getting some I-pads? I have a set of 5 and my first graders love using them over chrome books and laptops.

Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote