Teaching w/ morning sickness - ProTeacher Community

K-T

Teaching w/ morning sickness
Old 09-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any tips out there on dealing with morning sickness while teaching? I tend to go too long w/o eating and then regret it. Luckily I haven't been too bad at school, yet. Today was awful though, I couldn't hold down my breakfast. I'm also trying not to announce my pregnancy for another month, if it doesn't become obvious.

1956BD

Old 09-22-2007, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I nibbled on saltines and drank Sprite to survive. I felt kind of rude eating in front of my students, but it was the only way for awhile in the beginning. Then the morning sickness ended.

annie ann

Morning sickness
Old 09-22-2007, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I was pregnant I couldn't even drink a glass a water in the morning without being sick. I use to bring a light snack and eat it in the morning when my class ate snack.

twin2

kids don't seem to notice
Old 09-22-2007, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There is a first grade teacher at our school that has problems with her blood sugar dropping. She keeps snacks, even sandwiches at her desk and will go over and take a bite of food every once in a while. The kids don't seem to notice. If they do, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm not sure if she has told the kids that she has problems with her blood sugar or not. The first grade at our school has a late lunch, so they are allowed to have morning snack. That same teacher provides snack for her kids (maybe 5 animal crackers or a very small handful of pretzels or goldfish, etc.) every single day while the kids are making their transition into writing. I would imagine that you could keep a baggie of cereal at your desk and nibble on that from time to time. It's small enough that it might not be as noticeable.

lil annie

Old 09-22-2007, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A couple of years ago I started taking a new arthritis medication and it made me feel like I had morning sickness 12 hours a day. I bought a box of peppermint tea bags and kept them at work. I'd drop one over into my cup of ice water and let it brew for a bit and sip on it throughout the day. I also kept saltines and nibbled on those as needed.

chronicfun

in addition
Old 09-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

to the pp great suggestions regarding snacking little bits throughout the am, you might want to try a wristband meant for helping seasickness (I think they're called seabands). I believe you can get them at walgreens. I never used it but have heard they help by applying pressure to specific points on the wrist (similar to accupressure) and this relieves the queasiness for some.
Good luck, soon you'll feel better.
Congrats btw!

Illini Teacher

eat, eat, eat!
Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also found that having lemon drops candy (the old fashioned kind) helped a lot. I could suck on one of those and not feel like I was "eating" when my students couldn't. For some reason citrus worked wonders for me.

Also, I found that having protein at breakfast helped the whole day. Usually I could only stomach 1/2 a piece of toast with some peanut butter on it, but it did make a difference! A little later a slice of bacon or piece of soy sausage was great. The soy sausage wasn't greasy, so I like it a lot! Mornstar Farms worked well.

The worst thing I did was try to fill my snacks with too many carbs. Crackers did work well, but ended up making me feel a bit more sick as well. I kept the Nabisco peanut butter cracker sandwiches and the cheese cracker sandwiches in my classroom. I also found cup a soup to be great because I could keep it in a mug and no one knew if it was water, coffee or whatever!

Good luck! I was sick until 22+ weeks with both kids, but found I could at leas keep it at bay slightly with a full stomach!

mgndvd

students
Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I dont have any advice on morning sickness but I have sometimes severe hypoglycemia. I explained to my 1st graders at the beginning of the year that I sometimes have to eat, otherwise I would get sick. I apologized in advance that I would eat in front of them... They felt I treated them like grown-ups and were very happy to tell me to go ahead... Sometimes I give them a very small handful of my cereals. I wouldn't feel comfortable hiding to eat in class...but that's just me.

StephR

Old 09-23-2007, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Make sure you have any snacks around that don't make you sick, as well as drinks that do the same. Water and hard candy worked for me. I also had a comfy chair to sit on I did a lot of teaching from that chair!

Have you found a breakfast food that sits well with you? For me it was anything with grease! Frozen burritos really helped. Pizza too. Dont know why, but Taco Bell was my savior! Just cuz it isn't "breakfast food", doesn't mean you can't eat it!