Help

High School

Novel or no novel??

>

mizpruett

Novel or no novel??
Old 05-29-2017, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach English I (9th grade) and find little time to do whole novels. My district is straying from whole novels and encouraging using excerpts only. We use SpringBoard workbooks.

Do you still teach using the whole novel? How's it working? Do you love reading novels or are you over it?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

mizpruett is offline   Reply With Quote

NavyHusband

Old 05-29-2017, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district uses SpringBoard too (and we all hate it but that's another post).

I am not sure if you have a different version of SpringBoard but our curriculum requires E1 to teach Romeo & Juliet and To Kill a Mockingbird.

I have not taught E1 for a couple years, but when I did I taught 2 class periods of it and I was done with both texts by the end of the first day. My district had it set up where for two weeks the kids would come to class and I would play the audiobook the whole period and then they had questions (which you can find online if you just do a Google Search) to do for homework. Then when we finished the text, they wrote an essay and analyzed the literary techniques. Then we watched the movies (both for the R&J ones) and they wrote another essay comparing the text and the film. Obviously there are more engaging ways to read this text but my district was insistent we teach those texts exactly how the LDC said to (we even had the "SpringBoard police" come in for random visitations to make sure we were following the LDC).

However, I have heard that reading those two texts properly sets them up for if they take AP English Literature and Composition because they can refer back to those in their essay.
NavyHusband is offline   Reply With Quote

platypus

Old 05-31-2017, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 9-12 grade and AP Lit.

I teach two "big" works in each grade. I like teaching novels. I think it's a different skill set than just excerpts and as the other poster said, the last essay prompt on the AP Lit test requires them to draw from literature that they've read, so those that are reading "big" works do have a lot more to choose from.

But I'm lucky that my school pretty much leaves me alone to do what I want in the classroom.
platypus is offline   Reply With Quote

MSTeacher411

Novels
Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I definitely teach novels and full length texts in my English I (9th grade) classroom. We are required to teach The Odyssey and Romeo and Juliet, but our other two units are up to us. I teach Lord of the Flies to my Honors English I students and switch back and forth between teaching Speak or doing collections of short stories for my regular English I classes. I always ask for student feedback at the end of each semester, and my students always say they wish we had read more novels. If only there were more time!
MSTeacher411 is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

no novels
Old 06-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are not allowed to teach novels grade 6-8. This has not yet hit our high school ,though, where they still teach all of the same novels mentioned by the other posters.

jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

reason behind no novels
Old 06-18-2017, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Why would a school not allow novels? I do love short stories because they are complete as short stories, but reading excerpts of novels seems weird and incomplete. A book is meant to be read from beginning to end, isn't it? Is this some new idea that students shouldn't read novels?
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote