Help

Career Decisions

Leaving teaching

>

puakai

Leaving teaching
Old 05-29-2017, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been ribbed (reduction in building). I have taught for the past 16 years and I'm done with the job instability, the disrespect from administration and the kids for that matter. I just don't enjoy it anymore. Here's my question. It took me 5 months last year to land the job I am now being laid off from. I have paid to have my resume rewritten to highlight my experience outside of teaching. I apply, apply, apply and I never get any interviews, or even a phone call for that matter. How does one find a job in this age of applying online? It seems so impersonal, I'm just another e-mail. I am not looking for "high end" jobs, just some sort of office job where I can pay the bills! My friends are supportive and try to help me think of ideas, "you should just go work at Kohl's, etc." and I just want to say....could YOU support yourself working at Kohl's. Geez, I do need to pay my bills! I've thought of getting a certificate in x-ray technician, sonography, etc. but honestly, I don't wont to go into debt with school loans and most programs take 2 years. Who's going to hire a 58 year old????? They will probably think I'll retire soon, (which BTW, I'm NEVER going to be able to do!!) Any advice out there for a 56 year old starting over????

puakai is offline   Reply With Quote

crystalina

Stick it out...
Old 05-30-2017, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My advice is DON'T START OVER!

In this day and age, in this economy and at your age, its best to stick to what you know.

I'm sorry to tell you this but I truly think this is what you should do.
crystalina is offline   Reply With Quote

puakai

Old 05-30-2017, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the advice. I haven't ruled out teaching, I just can't seem to get a job! I've applied to over 200 jobs in just ONE district and I haven't even had ONE interview!!! That rejection is just another reason why I'm thinking of leaving teaching!

BritishPanda

Networking, informal interviews, and skills
Old 05-30-2017, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Regardless of what career you are looking for, finding a job today becoming more about who you know and what skills you have. Employers are looking to see what results you have given and what you can do to help them. This means networking or doing informal interviews to ask about you might need to get a specific position you want. It sounds crazy even if they don't have the position you want available, but it does keep you on their minds and they will remember you later when they do have a position.

If you are seriously considering leaving teaching, I recommend taking some time to think about your interests, skills, and requirements for a career. Once you have that, you can start focusing on finding jobs that fit most of the things you put on that list.

Two, start learning new skills. I don't believe in going back to school since technology has made learning accessible so you can learn anything you want at anytime. Check out job postings for positions you are interested and started learning them. On your resume, you can put a section for training which lists online courses you have taken to learn specific skills.

Three, yes ageism does exist. However you don't have to date yourself. Instead just put years you were at a position on your resume and the accomplishments you made at this position. Most employers don't care about how long you were at a position but rather what you did. Put lots of numbers and stats to quantify your accomplishments. Employers love data since it shows evidence on what you did. You can even include work gaps when you aren't working and show what you did during that time. If you were unemployed, were you learning a new skill? Did you start an online business or side hustle? That stuff does count on a resume and shows you were being active during these gaps.

I wouldn't worry about your age. I left teaching for tech and now I'm a web developer. I know plenty of people in tech who are your age (despite the reputation and stereotypes going around about tech) and they have found work at big tech companies or start ups. Some have even started online businesses and side hustles. If you are interested in learning more about tech, let me know and I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Overall, my best advice is to stay positive and remember you aren't alone. Leaving teaching is challenging no matter what age you are at, but it is possible.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

other jobs
Old 05-31-2017, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Brainstorm other jobs where you could use the skills you used while teaching. I work summers for Parks and Recreation and they hired me due to the fact that I was a teacher. Here are a few ideas that I can think of:

Parks and Rec
YMCA
Support Worker for youth or handicapped adults
VIPKID

Also don't underestimate a place like Kohls. I work seasonal at JCPenney and places like these are always looking for dependable, quality help. You can quickly work your way up and they give pay raises frequently if you are a hard worker.

jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 06-07-2017, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you have a tractor supply close by they are good to work for.

private schools,

as mentioned VIPKID (I"m looking at that right now)

other online tutoring, and after school tutoring services

I don't know what grades you teach, but the county and state are usually always looking for high school teachers in youth authority/jail settings. I'm told that's its not bad, but people are scared to apply. my visits as a youth pastor are always pleasant because they HAVE to be on their best behavior....

keep plugging away at it, you may want to look outside your district as there may be something/someone intra-district keeping you off the radar.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

puakai

Getting into Tech
Old 06-11-2017, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

British Panda, thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. You gave alot of good advice. My problem, I really don't know much about tech, so...where do I begin?

SpeedLimit62

Old 06-23-2017, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

British Panda I think about going into tech often. I think about what the maximum amount of money that you could ever make in education is (even if you were the superintendent) and I think about entry salaries for tech jobs or jobs in business. For what you put into teaching.. you are not compensated. However, I value my relationships with my students and I feel good about what I am doing everyday. When I think about tech I feel it is the safer route but not necessarily the route that would make me happier.

To the original poster, keep trying for a job. I don't know if it is the best time to switch careers when you are out of work. I think that can skew your view of the field.

One idea I have is getting certified to teach something that is in high demand. This could help you get a position. If all else fails look into subbing. In my area we are in desperate need of subs.

What are you certified to teach? If you want someone else to take a look at your resume... I'd be willing to look.. I know I had help from folks on PT when I was job searching as well.
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

BritishPanda

Start with the foundation
Old 06-24-2017, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just wrote a blog post about this oddly enough. You can check it out at http://britishpandachick.com/10-take...-year-webinar/ which talks about the steps Skillcrush suggested in one of their webinars. The advice I often give is the same as what Skillcrush offers. Feel free to watch the webinar in my blog post where Adda goes over everything you need to know about getting started in tech.

Getting started in tech is easy since there are tons of resources available in tech from newsletters, blogs, bootcamps, and more. Coding is a hot skill right now and as one of the STEM subjects so feel free to go to google or ask communities on Facebook or Twitter. I recommend starting with the Skillcrush blog. Skillcrush is where my tech journey started and they always have tons of great stuff on getting started, finding jobs, what it is like working in the tech industry, etc. They offer a free 10 day bootcamp which gives you a sense of their career blueprints.

You should also check out this blog post at http://britishpandachick.com/5-resou...lp-learn-code/ which has some of my favorite coding resources. Right now, my blog is going through my tech journey so feel free to read some of my other tech posts I write there.

BritishPanda

Pick the route best for you
Old 06-24-2017, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

@SpeedLimit62 I understand and agree what you are saying. Tech is one of those areas you really love or hate. However I recommend everyone should try it out just once in order to see which if it is the right fit for them.

deana021

have you thought about...
Old 06-27-2017, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

private school teaching or critical needs areas? Private schools generally tend to hire vetern teachers.
deana021 is offline   Reply With Quote

markm

Old 09-22-2017, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

A big consideration is how geographically stuck you are? In some states there are lots of jobs. I am here now in North Dakota cold winter I know But great kids and this year they declared every teaching area is a shortage area. I think at age 56 you would have a harder time finding a teaching job. For example play a piano? we never found a music teacher here at my school for this school year. The teacher certification office here in ND would grant you a one year license in about any subject area Kids are great here - very easy to work with. Families are mostly supportive too.
markm is offline   Reply With Quote