Help

Private Schools

library books

>

girl9987

library books
Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am working on writing a grant this summer that will help our small Christian school get the funding we need to purchase new books for our elementary library. Our library is completely outdated and most of the books were received through donations. They are old, outdated, and torn with yellow pages and covers that are falling off. I want our library to be attractive to students and contain good, quality children's literature. I am hoping that we can buy new colorful picture books, books from popular children’s authors, chapter books in series, and winners of the Newberry Award and Caldecott Awards. However, I do not want to purchase any books that will contain questionable material or books that may contain plots that are not compatible with our school's beliefs, if you know what I mean. So for all you Christian school teachers out there, what kinds of books do you have in your library? What do your students like reading?

girl9987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 05-30-2017, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Really, you'll need to scan every book.

Many of the books for a Level 1, 2,or 3 are fine. Certain authors like Kevin Henke, Peggy Rathman, Cynthia Rylant, Beverly Cleary are a great place to start. Your idea about using Newberry and Caldecott winners should help building your library, too.

This is a big job!
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 05-31-2017, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is exciting and daunting, too!

This article is from a Christian viewpoint. It may or may not apply.
http://deeprootsathome.com/books-unh...-caldecott-ya/

I used this list when homeschooling.
http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 06-01-2017, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like Putter and Tabby, Frog and Toad, Little Bear (GRL-J/end of first). Read Alouds: Lyle Lyle Crocodile, Eric Carle just about everything, Eve Bunting too. What level readers are you looking for. I have found that some of the Junie B Jones have words that I don't care for, but they are very funny and loved. Magic Tree House, Alexander series, can't remember the series but the titles are rhyming: Mr. Nick is a Lunatic, Mrs. Mire is on Fire, Diary of a Wimpy Kid (easy chapter books-GRL k/m/n)
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

girl9987

thank you!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These are all excellent suggestions and will certainly get me started in tackling the project of purging our library. I know it will be a big task but I'm actually looking forward to it! And thank you for the links to the articles. They were very helpful. Another question: Does your school have a book fair? I'm thinking of trying to get one from Scholastic and I'm afraid they will have some questionable material. Can I pick and choose the selection for our book fair or should I go with another company?

Lilacs

Old 06-03-2017, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I order scholastic monthly for the last ten years or so. Only on a few times have I been disappointed with the material content (a book like Junie B that uses a not so nice name). I have never had a parent complain in ten years using it. I teach younger grades so usually the topics are appropriate. I have ordered many of the upper elementary books for my daughter and was pleased. The books tend to be the most popular teacher/parent choices. The points make getting new free books a definite bonus. At certain times of the year it is more difficult. For example, our school does not allow Santa or Halloween. We use to cross out those choices on the paper catalog, but now with on-line ordering they can choose anything and submit it Our school is not super strict about this, so if the parent chooses it I just allow it. I tell the kids to put the books in their backpack so they "don't lose" it. Most parents seem to do both Santa/Easter Bunny and Jesus now, but I ask the kids to respectful of those whose parents want to focus only on Jesus during those holidays. If you do a book fair, they usually let you choose the material or just don't put out books if they aren't acceptable to your standard. The truth is even among Christian School parents you will find difference of opinion.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

girl9987

Thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you!

t_ster1

Sensitive areas
Old 06-20-2017, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I search titles through Common Sense Media and Jr. Library Guild to see if books are appropriate for my school. They both give awesome reviews and are very specific about language, sex, drugs, etc.
t_ster1 is offline   Reply With Quote

girl9987

thanks
Old 06-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you! I will check them out.

kerteach2

Books
Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Have you looked into First Book?
http://www.fbmarketplace.org/registe...246.1498769803

This may be a good place for you to get some books as well.

kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

girl9987

Old 06-29-2017, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I checked the First Book website and it said that in order to be eligible our school would have to be some sort of Title One school that serves low income families. We are a Christian school funded by tuition so we will not qualify but thanks for replying and I will keep this in mind for the future if something changes.