Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Portable dwellers unite!

>

Giraffiesauru

Portable dwellers unite!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please, let's start a board here for teachers in portable classrooms. Here's a starter topic:

They didn't give me desks, just tables, so what do I do with students' stuff?

Giraffiesauru is offline   Reply With Quote

sac3rd

Options
Old 06-04-2017, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I prefer desks too, but some years have had to deal with tables. Here are a few things that worked for me:
1. A small rolling cart to store students' things, one for each table. Mine had 4 different compartments on it, top to bottom.
2. On amazon, search for "under shelf pantry basket/organizer." These are great because they slide right under the ends of tables just as if you were sliding them under a pantry shelf. They can store workbooks, individual white boards, etc.
3. Turn shelves into student cubbies. Each student stores their workbooks, folders, notebooks, etc. here but goes to get them at the start of each day.
sac3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Hvnlykoi

On my team
Old 06-04-2017, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One teacher on my team just stacked everything in the center of the table. Another on my team has laundry baskets under the table I am in 5th so we see 3 classes a day
Hvnlykoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Giraffiesauru

Thanks
Old 06-04-2017, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

These are great ideas. Thank you.
Giraffiesauru is offline   Reply With Quote

Lovemyrats

I have desks.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They take up so much room that I am thinking of doing flexible seating next year just to get rid of them. I've been pinning ideas from Pinterest like crazy before I actually request they be taken out of my portable.

Lovemyrats is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

I'm not in a portable, but I have had tables
Old 06-12-2017, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used the plastic book bins from Really Good Stuff (expensive, but those suckers have lasted me 4 years and are still holding up!) for all their stuff. My kids only had math textbooks, so these went in baskets - one basket per math group.

It wasn't perfect. I'm moving to a new school and looking forward to desks. I do have over 30 kids, though.
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Old 07-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am switching to a flexible seating classroom. We've rotate, too. AND students are not allowed to bring backpacks. But we make it work. Student journals are kept on the bookcase by the door by class. I teach two subjects, so one shelf is for ELA journals, the other for Social Studies. They keep a pencil pouch with them for pencils and scissors. I do have plastic drawer organizers. One has 3 drawers because we have three classes. Each drawer houses the ziplock supply bags for the students. These bags have: colored pencils, markers, extra supplies (pencils, pens, etc).
I have a small 3 drawer organizer that holds extra scissors, glue sticks, and highlighters.

My classes are small, usually 11-15 students. I use jobs for passing out needed supplies and picking them up.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Living and Working in a Portable
Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My husband and I shared a portable for 2 years (both 6th grade). Organization is key, obviously.

We arrived to 4 blank walls - that was it. The dry erase boards and bulletin boards were leaning agains one wall. Actually that was a good thing - I had them place the dry erase board off center to facilitate my Smartboard/computer projector setup.

NO STORAGE. No cupboards, shelves - nothin'!

I played vulture, searched high and low, and found 7 great (old and sturdy) filing cabinets. I lined part of a wall with them. Used them for everything I needed, whether it be files or games, teaching resources, computer paper, construction paper, or journals. 2 were "student friendly" meaning the kids could go in there and get what they needed. The others were off-limits for they contained what I needed for teaching. I actually didn't miss the cupboards, for little got lost as in the depths of a cupboard. The filing cabinets were all the same height so that long breadth on top was a great place for temporarily storing student projects that were works-in-progress.
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote