Help

First Grade

Let's talk about big books...

>

TishFish

Let's talk about big books...
Old 06-05-2017, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My reading program came with about 15 big books. I hate them. I don't know how to store them. I have a hard time physically holding them to read them. I'm very close to just looking up youtube videos of the books for next year and shoving them in a corner somewhere.

So...

a) How do you store your big books?
b) How do you hold your big books to read them?
c) What are the benefits of big books?

TishFish is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I like big books
Old 06-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

because they provide a lot of teaching opportunities for larger groups of students. Big books were created to reproduce the effects of a parent reading to/with a child in the lap for a large group simultaneously. They also allow more teaching to be conveyed than a naive parent would.

You can point to the text as you read to model left to right, top to bottom reading, you can model a picture walk before reading to set up expectations for the text, you can demonstrate how to decode a word, you can use highlighting tape on the text and pull it off for the next reading. Highlighting tape (clear, colored, removable tape) can emphasize on-sets and rimes, sight words, new vocabulary, spelling list words, punctuation, etc.

The text can be used to inspire writing on the same topic, use the same structure, etc.

I store big books in some large boxes used to store posters as well as well as large sized shipping boxes for paper from art supply stores. I like large plastic storage boxes left on the floor for the students to access. There are several ideas for inexpensive storage here

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/big-book-storage/

There are also lots of other commercial storage solutions such as

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_1lfqg5f94s_b

I usually put the big books on a "chalk" tray under the white board until I got an easel for display.https://www.amazon.com/big-book-ease...20book%20easel

I actually like the chalk/pen tray better for page turning than the pegs on some easels. My husband added a metal tray (improvising something from a building supply store) on an old kid's art easel we bought at the swap meet. On the opposite side we hung a magnetic white board for word work. That worked very well--it was the right height for students to see and access and for me when sitting down to do lessons.

Hope this helps logistics and does a bit of proselytizing.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Big books
Old 06-05-2017, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree that they are a pain to use. For the ones that came with reading program, I substitute a book that I can read aloud using same reading skill or comprehension strategy.

I gave several away and kept others. Got a storage box on wheels that holds about 20 big books (PTA gift one year probably from Lakeshore)

I can roll it out of the way. Kids take books and read on carpet either alone or with partner. Some of my favorites are ones I got for social studies or science.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Old 06-05-2017, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I bought a great piece of furniture years back for them. It has an easel and ledge to hold any book as you read and storage in the back for big books. The front at the bottom is a magnetic whiteboard. It's wonderful and worth the $ especially if you can get your school to pay for it! Big books are so engaging for primary students. I've heard of teachers storing them in laundry baskets as well. This is like it but there are many others. Shop around.
https://www.enasco.com/product/Z42112J/
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

cal33

Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I hate them too. I can't hold them. When I worked in the Pre-school we did have an easel and that was OK. I let my students read to each other with them. They like to lay on the carpet with the book on the floor.

cal33 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 06-05-2017, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I keep mine in an art cart/chart cart. I've also kept them in large storage tubs or hampers.
I don't hold them. I set them on an easel or a tray at the board.
The kids LOVE to read the big books on the rug.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

1elateacher

Best thing about them
Old 06-06-2017, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Is that kids love to read them with a partner on the rug...
1elateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 06-07-2017, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love big books. I have a big chart stand to read them from. I wouldn't try to hold one and read it. Kids love to read them on the floor. I only put out a couple for them to choose from because they tend to get damaged when they go through them. I purchased a stand from Really Good Stuff to hold them, but you can just store them flat on a shelf or get a big laundry basket or storage bin. In our book room we have racks that are bolted to the wall. I don't know where they came from, but they are great.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

TishFish

Alternatives to a chalk ledge?
Old 06-08-2017, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The way our rooms are set up, there isn't a ledge for me to use. Most of my board is taken up with the smartboard :/

Right now I balance them on my feet (using them as the ledge) and I read upside down and turn the pages. I have an easel that I purchased myself but it doesn't have a ledge.

Any other suggestions? Maybe I'll look to see if there's a ledge add-on I can purchase for my easel.

My school won't be purchasing anything for me, so that's not an option.

TishFish

Cal33
Old 06-08-2017, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm nervous about letting the students read them on the rug because they're part of our (brand new!) reading program and I don't want them to get ripped. I've allowed students to do this in the past and it was usually fine (and they loved it!) but I did have a couple get ripped in "accidents" when my boys got too crazy.

Next year, perhaps, I'll spend some time training them on how to use them properly at the rug and see how it goes.

colleague

I store them in a laundry basket and
Old 06-08-2017, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

use them mostly for my reassignment in kdg drama, however for a weak first grade class you could use them. I read them on a portable whiteboard with a moveable lip at the bottom. The board is adjustable as far as height and the pen holder slides. I sit on a very short foot stool when I teach.
colleague is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

big books
Old 06-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

They are great. I understand if you have not been giving training on them its like what's the BIG deal? I was teaching when BIG books started being the rave in the 80's. We even made our own BIG BOOKS. The children would illustrate them and rewrite stuff like BROWN BEAR. The kids can see the print better. You have the chance to teach sight words, and phonics embedded in the text and not just isolation. I used it many times to see how many "The" words were on a page. The kids love to use them in centers after they have been presented in Class. Do you have a teacher pointer? Also the pictures are big enough that you search for setting graphics like mountains, sky, or pockets on a character. These are things that do not come to your attention with regular book size. I would rather teach reading with a BIG book rather than a smart board any day. Use post it notes to remind you of skills or questions. I have even let kids that read the book or certain pages write their names on post notes to stick on their favorite part of the book. Start off with using them simply
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
texasteach25

texasteach25

Big Books
Old 06-13-2017, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I began teaching 7 years ago and I had NEVER seen big books used in my student teaching and they seemed so old fashioned to me. I figured they were no longer considered "best practice." Not only was I so WRONG, but I feel like they're even becoming ed-trendy again! Lucy Calkins strongly promotes shared reading for K-2 and she even has shared reading lesson plans in each of her units. We read the same book 3-4 times in a week, and each day have a different focus (decoding, fluency, comprehension, writing). The most beneficial activity I do with big books is to cover up words with post-its and have kids use meaning/syntax/visual cues to figure it out. If you google "tcrwp vimeo shared reading" you can watch a video clip of a teacher leading a shared reading lesson around a big book.

You can also use a document camera to project regular books onto the Smartboard but it just isn't the same! Kids engagement is always higher with the good ol' big books. That being said, I have grown picky about which big books I spend time with. Joy Cowley is always and forever my favorite. Her books have sing-songy words, big text, lovable characters, and opportunities for vocabulary/comprehension work. Lots of "big books" have big pages but the text is still far too small for little eyes to see from the carpet! What's the point?

I store my big books in the Guidecraft Big Book Storage Box. I prop the books on the ledge of my easel to read them. There is a great shared reading book called Read It Again! that could be a good resource for you.

readbooks

The problem is...
Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I used big books for years and for many purposes and loved them. I did have a cart with a flip top easel. I don't use them as much as I used to. When the new young teachers came in saying they hated big books I didn't understand why until I saw the books they were using. Tlodays companies don't get the big book teachability. The new books are large books with regular size print.
Here in lies the problem !!! The whole purpose of big books is to engage young readers in the print. The font needs to be large enough for all children to be able to see the words and engage in all the ways that broomrider and Texas teach 25 have sugessted.
readbooks is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

ledge add-on for your easel
Old 06-20-2017, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

this is one suggestion:
http://mywhiteboards.com/squaretray.html

You could do a search for chalk tray/chalk rail/marker rail and find some others. You want something with a backing piece you can screw to the easel to support the rail and big book.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-14-2017, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I use the chalk tray on my teaching easel to display a big book. If the easel is already set up for something else, then I prop the big book open on a student chair. My student chairs are not one solid piece-there is a back piece connected to the seat by a metal frame and the book fits in there. It is supported and doesn't curl over or close.

Storage ideas:
  • garment rack with big books stored in large plastic zipper bags with handles (found bags at Dollar Tree-XL and XXL) on hangers
  • flat storage on a shelf
  • wood big book storage easel with lift up top/ledge to display big book, storage in back and white board on front
  • tall laundry basket
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote