Everyday Math Version 4

>

Marcee

Everyday Math Version 4
Old 06-05-2017, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Everyday Math 4:

Pros: Online Games
Cons: - The teacher edition is written as a narrative, and some VERY IMPORTANT information is buried in a paragraph.
- Way too many copies need to be made.
- Way too much preparation for each lesson.
- Lends itself to classes of about 15-20 kids. Any more than that and it's a management nightmare.
- Completely ignores fact fluency.
- Instructions for some of the games are complicated.
- If you don't have a solid foundation in the skill required for the game, you are bored and off-task almost immediately.
- Nowhere near enough practice on the skills.
- The story problems get too hard too quickly.
- I don't have enough time in my day to get to everything in the lesson. Passing out materials for the games alone takes a good 20 minutes in my class of well over 30 students.
-Too much "discussion".
- Very difficult for kids with math anxiety.

Any suggestions from people who have used it for a long time?

Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiki

Edm 4
Old 06-06-2017, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not a fan of EDM, but have been using it for a very long time. I agree with much of what you have said.

I disagree on ingnoring fact fluency. In theory EDM address fact fluency well. Fact fluency is describes as having a an efficient strategy to quickly find a basic fact. So EDM focuses on strategies first to build understanding before facts are memorized. That would be good if the program didn't jump from topic to topic so much. That was supposed to be addressed in EDM4. There is some improvement over the earlier versions, but not much.

Suggestions for games: Organize materials in a certain spot and have students quickly gather materials. I never pass them out and certainly would never get through anything if it took 20 minutes to pass things out. I model the game, go over materials needed and have partnerships gather material when I am done with directions.

In general don't try to get to everything. Focus on getting mental math done in 5 minutes. (Don't teach. This is warm up.) Math Message should also be quick and not everyone will be successful. Focus your time on the lesson and don't require most students to do the Try This problem. I group students and have my higher achievers do those only.

This program does cause much math anxiety for average students and boredom for higher achievers. The lowest (I have sped push in) just give up. It does not differentiate well at all. The earlier versions had higher skills built in. The newest has removed those, but still has hard problems, just not the skills. So students that have mastered the skill zoom through and those who struggle have more trouble. I choose specific problems for students and rarely require my sped group to complete pages. My higher kids get some of the missing skills as independent work. It's good for them to face the challenge. My average students do much work in a group with me or the sped ed tech. It is a ton of work. This program is not teacher friendly.

It's difficult for students, parents, and teachers to understand that not everything is going to be correct or done.
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Mental Math/Message
Old 06-08-2017, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is what has happened: I don't teach during the mental math (we were also told that it was warmup and to limit it to 5 minutes). We do it on whiteboards. The low-achievers just give up when Susie-the-perennial-high-achiever (STPHA) has the answer in 10 seconds and they don't know. Then I have completely lost them for the Math Message...they don't even try. Why should they when STPHA has it figured out before we have even read the first word as a class?

I also do not require them to do the Try This, unless they are STPHA. I don't feel the homework (Home Link) is helpful at all. The parents just get confused, and they shouldn't have to be explaining this to their children. I would rather do it in class, TBH. That way I can see who gets it and who doesn't. I also don't feel the games are that beneficial to mastering the skill. They are more trouble than they are worth, and I have other games that I have collected over the years that are, frankly, a lot better.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

teachmeifucan

Any suggestions??
Old 06-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've used the older version for many years and this past year we started using EDM 4. There are some improvements, but overall, I don't feel it gives enough "practice" on any one skill. I am currently working on finding videos that go with each lesson, materials to supplement, etc... If anyone else on here is teaching fourth grade and willing to do the same, it would be great to share resources. Just a thought. (I'm hoping to do smaller groups next year and focus on the skill, but maybe supplement with other strategies that I see fit.)
teachmeifucan is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsSusko

Edm
Old 07-11-2017, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I went through the program and tried to align it to Common Core standards. I found that many of the standards are found on the add-in pages like 320A or 120B for example. Some teachers were skipping these as they weren't part of the overall lesson. And some standards were only found in math boxes! My coworkers and I scrapped a large part of the program and started using teacher-made materials to teach missing skills.

MrsSusko is offline   Reply With Quote