Letter Knowledge Activities - ProTeacher Community

Kerri M

Letter Knowledge Activities
Old 09-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have one student in my class who is significantly behind the others in letter knowledge, both recognition and sounds. Two days a week I have an aid in my classroom and I am looking for some activities she could do with him individually to work on these skills. Any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Kerri M is offline   Reply With Quote

judy

Kerri
Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I usually use a lot of OG with my children who have difficulty with letter and sound recognition. I also do Alphabet arc activities and play alphabet soup with them. I put all the letters (THose small magnetic ones are fine) in a big bowl and stir it around and the children take a letter and name the letter and sound. Alphabet arc: You can buy these prepared, but the children have to fill up the arc with the letters in order to make the alphabet and say letter and sound. Alphabet bingo is fun as well. I also do a treasure hunt thing which I place the letters around the room on post its and I call out a letter and the children have to find it.
judy is offline   Reply With Quote

URMySunshine

have you tried...
Old 09-24-2007, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

the Dr. Jean songs like Lettercise and Who Let the Letters Out? My kids love them and they are great reviews of the letters and sounds but I do them in a large group during our music/movement time. Today I tried something "off the cuff" so to speak and the kids really seemed to enjoy it. I have those letters that are made with the making word activities. I put the letters we have already gone over in a baggie and handed one to each student(we were in small groups). The children spread their letters out in front of them. I held up pictures and they had to slap the letter that the picture started with. It was a quick way for me to assess whether or not they knew that letter/sound and they had fun with it. You can do the same thing with fly swatters.
I also made a hide and seek game. I went on Print Artist and made several leaves of different colors. I put on each leaf a letter (I mixed up upper and lower case letters). I also made a small paper acorn. I take turns hiding the acorn behind one of the leaves. The children take turns guessing where the acorn is hiding. In order to guess they have to tell me which letter the acorn is hiding behind and what that letter's sound is. If they find the acorn they get to come up and tell me where to hide the acorn next. I have varied this game with the seasons (apples - hiding a worm, pumpkins - hiding a pumpkin seed; caterpillars - hiding a butterfly, etc.) It is always a huge hit and the kids never seem to get tired of it. It is easy to make and a great filler when you need something for a few minutes.
URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

msjules

"Bang" game
Old 09-25-2007, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We play a game called "Bang" where I have index cards with all the letters of the alphabet on them and I put in 3 or 4 cards with a large word "BANG" written on it. We go around the circle and if they know the letter they keep the card and if they don't know it I tell them but I keep the card. When they get the 'BANG" card everyone yells bang and that person loses their cards. I was worried about it at first but because we just play for fun no one ever gets upset. They think its really fun. They all beg to play.
You can do it with capitals, lowercase, just sounds, numbers, cvc words whatever. Its a very versatile game. The best thing is that I can pick a kid I know has all the letters and let them be the leader and do the cards with a group of lower kids who are working on them.
msjules is offline   Reply With Quote

URMySunshine

Old 09-25-2007, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love the Bang game idea. I just finished making mine! Thanks for the idea.

URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Best tip of the day!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have just started new reading readiness group! Don't ya know we will be playing BANG tomorrow!
bonnybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. T.

letter chant
Old 09-26-2007, 01:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

To help with the sounds, you can create a letter chant. This really helps my students.
For example...M (slap thighs) says (clap) MMM (rub tummy)
S (") says (") SSS (make an s in the air)
etc.
Mrs. T. is offline   Reply With Quote

baileystavern

I LOVE your ideas!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love making up little games like that. (In fact, I had a parent tell me *jokingly* that her child told that "All we do all day is play games!") I am definitely going to use some of those seasonal ideas for the letter hiding game. THANKS!!!
baileystavern is offline   Reply With Quote

Kerri M

thanks!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! Definitely some things I will try!
Kerri M is offline   Reply With Quote