Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Fun End of the Year Symmetry Lessons

>

rosieteaches

Fun End of the Year Symmetry Lessons
Old 06-08-2017, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looking to boost fun factor in math. Does anyone have a nice lesson/project for fourth graders showing what they know about symmetry?

rosieteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Megteach

Old 06-08-2017, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Students enjoy matching a partner's half with geoboards and rubber bands. A PT poster had shared a game of "Guess My Grid" ala Battleship. Students create a symmetrical design on a grid and their partner calls out grid coordinates to locate the squares of the design using their own grid. Symmetry helps them choose the grid squares. Some posters even get creative with origami. Also good for listening skills. Some people go outside for a scavenger hunt of geometric figures and symmetrical figures. The kids go nuts!

Good luck. Have fun!
Megteach is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

This takes some effort
Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Collect pictures of animals, mostly faces. Cut the pic in half on the line of symmetry and allow students to draw and color the other half. I got my pics online and printed them.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Symmetry Ideas
Old 06-09-2017, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Take a piece of 8 1/2" by 11" paper. Fold it in half (banana fold). Using a skinny black Sharpie, draw a line on the fold. (I take it to the copy machine, and make one copy for each child.) Each student will need a copy for each of the following activities.

Idea #1: Each student builds a design using 6 to 12 pattern blocks to the left of the black line. (That same student collects a second set of the same blocks with a few others in a cup and leaves the cup of blocks with the design. This way, as students rotate, the blocks needed to complete the design are already available in the cup.)

Students rotate throughout the room and build the same pattern to the right of the line so it forms a symmetrical pattern. (Many of these patterns will look like butterflies.) As students rotate, they unbuild the pattern to the right of the line so the next student can rotate to that seat and build the pattern. (If you have 20 students, each child builds his/her own beginning pattern to the left of the line, collects a set of blocks in the cup, and then rotates to the other 19 seats to build the pattern to the right of the line.)

It is a good idea to model this for students before beginning the activity.

Idea #2: Partner students and have them sit next to each other with a open folder between them so the first partner and the second partner cannot see each other's paper. Partner #1 builds a symmetrical pattern on his/her paper. After adding each pattern block, partner #1 tells partner #2 which block to place on his/her paper.

Example:
--Partner #1 places a yellow hexagon to the left of the line and tells partner #2 to do the same.
--Partner #1 places a yellow hexagon to the right of the line and tells partner #2 to do the same.
--Partner #1 places a green triangle above the yellow hexagon on the left side of the paper and tells partner #2 to do the same.
--Partner #1 places a green triangle above the yellow hexagon on the right side of the paper and tells partner #2 to do the same.
--Partner #1 places a green triangle below the yellow hexagon on the left side of the paper and tells partner #2 to do the same.
--Partner #1 places a green triangle below the yellow hexagon on the right side of the paper and tells partner #2 to do the same.

After using about six to twelve pattern blocks, students remove the folder in between and compare the patterns. This activity depends on each partner giving clear directions.

It is a good idea to model this for students before beginning the activity.

You will find that students also want to place pattern blocks over the line. (Example: Partner #1 places the yellow hexagon over the line so half the hexagon is on the left side of the line and half the yellow hexagon is on the right side of the line.) This is slightly more challenging but fun too.

Idea #3: Give each student a piece of graph paper. The squares should be larger than the normal graph paper (maybe half inch squares). Fold the graph paper in half (can be a banana fold, but I like a hamburger fold instead) and draw a dark line. (I make one of these and then run what I need on the copy machine.)

Each student uses markers/colored pencils to make a pattern to the left of the line...fifteen to twenty squares can be colored. Collect the papers and give each student another student's design. The second student makes the same pattern to the right of the line.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 06-09-2017, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is very very simple, and I did this with literally no prep and our school ran out of copy paper. I took loose leaf paper, and told the kids they needed to create one form with 1 line of symmetry and a 2nd paper with 2 lines of symmetry. I demonstrated that you fold the paper in half and don't cut along the fold. The 2nd paper you fold into 4ths and don't cut on the fold. Some kids got creative with it... others needed multiple tries to do the one with 2 lines of symmetry.

I also found a digital worksheet to use with Google drawings where they use the line tool to draw the lines of symmetry.

ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote