Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Only me next year

>

Chimneygrl

Only me next year
Old 06-08-2017, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For the past 4 years, I have had an aide (tutor, helper, etc..) in my classroom. It has really helped having 2 adults in the classroom. Well I just found out that I am the only one of my grade level without one because I will not have any IEP students (only 4 in the grade.)

I am hurt because I have been teaching a lot of my subjects in small group and my aide runs a group. So, how do you do it without an extra adult? We do the daily 5, but I need other ideas.

It will be a rough group with a lot of behavior issues. I teach first and right now I have 18 students on my class list. ( I know that I am lucky to have the small nunbers.)

Chimneygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 06-08-2017, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, all I can say is you have been lucky to have help in the past. We have no aides except in our ASD and PreK units. Our ESE teachers push in for 30 minutes during reading. That's it. I know it's not the way you would like it to be, but you can do this. Have excellent classroom management and model, model, model.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 06-09-2017, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Parent Volunteers and listening center have allowed me to do small group time. I usually have any services in the room also (OT, Speech, and ESL).
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

It's not easy.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've taught for 25 years, and have only had paras in the room for reading groups a couple of years. You have to make sure the kids understand your expectations. If you're doing Daily 5, you know that you have to practice procedures until they get it, or you'll have problems all year. Even though I do Daily 5, I change a few things to fit my groups. For instance, last year, I had a crazy class. We didn't do Read to Partner because they couldn't do that responsibly. Here's what I did during Reading groups:
1. Read to Self - Be sure to have them use a journal or worksheet to hold them
responsible for what they've read.
2. Work on Writing - Be sure to give them a specific assignment at the first of
the year. Otherwise, they might waste time.
3. Word Work - Use games and activities that they can do by themselves at the
beginning of the year. They need to earn the right to work with another
student. This can be a time to work on spelling words, sight words, or
phonics.
4. Listening to Someone Read - We use a tape player or a computer.
5. Read to Self - We only use this if students from the reading group are
working on a book together while you do a running record.

Get a bell like you see at businesses where you ring the bell for service. If you hear kids getting too loud, ding the bell as a non-verbal signal to stop or lower the level of talking. I know one teacher who wears a tiara when she's teaching her reading group. When she has the crown on, no one is allowed to interrupt.

You can do this. Last year's first graders at our school was the worst behaved group our kindergarten teachers had ever seen. We saw a lot of progress, and they grew up a lot.
linda2671 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-09-2017, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a parent help every day during groups. Is that a possibility? If not you can certainly still run groups, you just need to wait until they have the procedures and expectations down pat before running your group.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote