Help

Second Grade

Beginning of the Year--2nd grade

>

luvtheday

Beginning of the Year--2nd grade
Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our curriculum has us teaching mostly routines and procedures the first 10 days of the year which is of course necessary, but I want to insert content as well....my question is, what do you all do for math for the beginning of the year?

luvtheday is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 06-11-2017, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I used to teach second grade, I always started with simple math fact games. Later on, I would make up variations of those original games throughout the year.
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Math Literature
Old 06-11-2017, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here is a list of math stories that are worthwhile no matter what text book you are using.

http://everydaymath.uchicago.edu/tea...terature-list/

Discuss the math from each story. Kids need to understand the reasons we study math and that it is really all around us.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Beginning in second
Old 06-11-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We just start with the program. It's first module is more review ish and includes a cut and paste sorting activity. There are 8 units and I only got through 7 and a half this year. That said, it was a brand new program.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Math
Old 06-12-2017, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like to teach/review graphing. We use all kinds of get to know you activities that are graphed. (Birthdays, how we get home, eye color, siblings, pets etc)

javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

twiceblessed

Old 06-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just like Javamomma, I begin the year with a lot of graphing activities. I also do a lot of math facts practice to 10 and sometimes to 20.
twiceblessed is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 06-12-2017, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Addition/subtraction facts, calendar (date, weather, thermometer), graphing/glyphs, place value and number concepts, tangrams and geoshapes, patterning, attribute blocks....more hands on activities and group work to establish routines and co-operative learning.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
fran123

fran123

Boy
Old 06-12-2017, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use the first 2 weeks to get the class set up with math workshop and daily math routines. I like to get kids use to the flow of the math block- a number talk, a mini lesson, private and/or partner work time, and share. So, what I have to do is:

- Teach number talk routines. I always start with quick looks on dot cards, ten frames, and/or rekenreks.
- Teach math notebook routines. We have kids paste number stories into blank composition notebooks. Review how they learned to show their work in 1st grade.
- Pick partner activities and 1st grade math games that kids played last year to model proper partner behavior.
- Have kids explore manipulatives that we'll use a lot in 2nd grade like base 10 blocks, place value disks, rekenreks, unified cubes, geoboards, etc.

Our curriculum's first 2 units are REALLY basic 1st grade review. We touch upon the content in our number talks and math notebook problems, but our focus is really on routines and setting a tone that math this year will be collaborative, open-ended, hands-on, challenging, and fun!

luckytoteach

Old 06-16-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I begin our Singapore math curriculum on the 2nd or 3rd day of school. I need to get started so I get through it before the end of the year.
luckytoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Eureka math
Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Starts the year off with adding & subtracting within 20, specifically using strategies focused on the making or breaking (composing or decomposing) of a ten.

I'm guessing you don't use Eureka, but I've found it's a great review/formative of first grade and really sets the foundation for the majority of second grade math content.

PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtheday

Thank you!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you so much for all of these great ideas! I feel much more ready now!
luvtheday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Place Value
Old 06-23-2017, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I actually start with place value. I have found over the past 5-6 years that if students do not have a solid understanding of place value, they don't do well with math facts, adding money, telling time, adding multiple digit numbers etc. I frontload my students with place value instruction and wow, does it pay off later on. It really helps them to understand numbers.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Start the year
Old 07-31-2017, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I start Math at the beginning of the year with an assessment to get baseline data. They like the two minute timed CBMs. I need at least three of those for baseline. They can be done whole class. Then another assessment I give covers the whole 2nd grade but not too long of a test. I tell them it lets me know if they already know some 2nd grade math.
I usually like to start teaching with a focus on Geometry because it is fun for the students and I can combine some art with it. It looks nice for decorating the room for Open House as well.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote