Help

New Teachers

New Teacher - No Curriculum

>

pastafordays

Old 06-11-2017, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm going to begin my first year of teaching in August - 3rd-5th grade science/writing. While I'm really looking forward to my first year, and am anticipating (and embracing) the learning curves, I'm most worried about creating/finding curriculum. When I was interviewed a couple months ago for this position, my principal informed me that the district doesn't provide any kind of curriculum to its teachers. I know this is common among many school districts, so I'm now trying to determine the balance between creating my own materials and borrowing from others. I've heard from so many teachers that one of the reasons they 'burned/are burning out' from the profession is because of the exhaustion from hours of planning and writing assessments, unit plans, and lesson plans.

Ideally, I want to find a comprehensive set of high-quality, well-organized, easily-modifiable, aligned assessments, unit plans, lesson plans, and in-class materials that are created by teachers who've taught the same grade level and subjects using the Common Core Standards.

Most of my practicum and cooperating teachers I was with throughout college bought unit bundles from teacherspayteachers.com - one even spent $500 last year alone. With rent, groceries, monthly car payments, student loans, classroom materials, and general living expenses, I want to spend my money wisely when paying for units and lessons. If purchasing TPT bundles is the best cost- and time-effective option, I'm willing to purchase from there and make necessary adaptations for my students along the way. Any suggestions on TPT sellers to purchase from or curriculum?

pastafordays is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

Old 06-12-2017, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello and congrats on getting a job!!! Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for sellers because I teach a dual language classroom.

I would contact the teachers in your grade level before purchasing anything. Maybe, you can get together with some of the teachers over the summer to plan?

Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-12-2017, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Congratulations on the job!

Before I can give you any real help I need to know what state you will be teaching in. Standards vary from state to state. I would get a copy of those standards and the districts curriculum map/pacing guide t see what needs to be taught when. This will give you an idea a what goes first and what your focus needs to be on. If plants is taught in the spring don't worry about this right now.

I caution you about spending money on TPT. There's some great stuff, BUT there's some really awful stuff. I'm a former curriculum person and know teachers that paid good money for stuff and found it was garbage.

Once you know your content and standards you can Google them to find ideas. Sometimes you can find a districts curriculum map for free and are able to tweak it to meet your needs.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

pastafordays

Old 06-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for your input, teachnkids!

I'll be teaching in Missouri using the Missouri Learning Standards, which are fairly similar to the Common Core Standards. My district is pretty small and doesn't supply its teachers with any kind of curriculum map/pacing guide, so that's making me a little anxious. Throughout college, I heard a few teachers in person and from blog posts say that they spend more time trying to find resources than actually creating the lessons. My issue isn't creating engaging lessons - when I emailed the principal and superintendent some of my unit and lesson plans before my interview, the superintendent later told me that they were the best ones he'd read in his 37 years in education - my issue is trying not to burn out before I've even started my first year of teaching.

Last edited by pastafordays; 06-12-2017 at 05:53 PM..
pastafordays is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-13-2017, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just trying to understand....so if they don't do curriculum maps, is it safe to say you don't have district assessments throughout the year? If so, that blows my mind! I work with districts all over the country and can't believe there's no accountability throughout the year. Good for you though!!!

I would look online for a curriculum map Tha you like the flow and use that for your first year. This takes the guess work off you for what to teach when. Most times there will be resource links to suggested lesson ideas.

Update:. Here are a couple links:

https://www.parkhill.k12.mo.us/teach...m/third_grade/

https://www.georgiastandards.org/Fra...cienceK-5.aspx

http://www.graniteschools.org/curric...ementary-maps/

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Congrats on your new job! I also want to applaud you for taking burn out seriously. Without getting on my soapbox, I will say that it makes me so sad to see well meaning teachers getting forced out of the classroom due to burnout. Take it easy. I have taught many years without a curriculum without spending a dime on teacherspayteacher.

Maybe PT can help you to do some searching online a little. Can you list specifically what units/grade level you need? I found writing files that may help.

Last edited by pausebutton; 06-13-2017 at 11:20 AM..
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 06-13-2017, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here are downloadable writing units:

https://sites.google.com/a/apps4pps....writing-binder
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Curriculum
Old 06-15-2017, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

For science, check out mysteryscienxe.com
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Epuka

Old 08-12-2017, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I see you've discovered TPT. I have access to curriculum at my private school but preferred getting my own from that site because it was so much more engaging. There are plenty of freebies to not have to pay so much. I love the freedom of having my own curriculum but I'm sure to align it with the state standards.
Epuka is offline   Reply With Quote