Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teacher News & Opinion

Please be rational!

>

Please be rational!
Old 06-14-2017, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The shaking-in-their-boots irrational fear from the left has gotten completely out of hand. The assassination "jokes" from the left are sickening and inappropriate. You all need to CHILL OUT!! My goodness, now we have people that can't even play a game of baseball in America without fears of being attacked by unhinged radicals.

Trump loves America. You might not agree with his policies, but you can stop it with the histrionics. People are going to die (today could have been much more horrible if Scalise hadn't had security) if you all don't collectively take a deep breath.

0123456 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 06-14-2017, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First of all, there is no knowledge that the person who did the shooting was an "unhinged radical". The police do not know his motive. Congressman DeSantes said he "may" have talked to the shooter but he didn't know for sure.

There is too much extreme rhetoric from both the far left and the far right in today's society. Everyone on the right, the left, and in the middle should take a deep breath. There's a saying I used with my 6th graders---"Taste your words before you spit them out". We as adults need to think before we speak.

Last edited by Lynnteach2; 06-14-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

The climate of our nation has changed
Old 06-14-2017, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree we need to create a nation that sees everyone as Americans first and their particular opinions second. We need a leader that will make this happen. Trump is not that leader. He needs to stop making the free press, liberals, the Democratic party and immigrants into evil entities with his speech, tweets and actions. We are fellow Americans NOT the enemy.
Americans are hysterical for a reason. We have a president who says that the Constitution is out dated and bad for the country. We have many politicians in power who want to ignore the Bill of Rights especially the first amendment. If you listen they want to do away with freedom of the press, and they want to let the government promote one religion with taxpayers' money.
It would be nice if it was like former presidencies, you may not agree but they did not show signs of wanting to limit our democratic rights. This is different. You are upset about Americans being hysterical? Maybe it is like the Titanic, people didn't realize the true situation and so many life boats rowed away with only a few passengers. They should have been afraid, very afraid. I think we all need to be afraid now. We now have a president who lies all the time. Lies about everything from important issues, to what he accomplished, to the size of his crowds.
We all need to put nation above party! Some brave Republicans are doing that now. I know my state representative does it on some issues. Sign petitions, call your congressmen and women. Tell them that we want a more transparent government. Make them start to pass laws that help move our nation forward and stop the attack on hard working Americans. When America's best interests for all its citizens comes first and special interest groups, wealthy citizens' and corporate interests are not first, then we will see hysteria disappear. Then both parties will have their differences but the will again work together.
Don't be distracted and find yourself rearranging the deck chairs on a sinking ship.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

In regard to the shooting
Old 06-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Violence leads to more violence, never to a solution. This latest incident is shocking and we need to protect our government officials better.
Our nation has become more violent. Our nation has more violence than most other developed nations. I am amazed at how few shootings there are in countries like Japan. We need to speak out against every act of violence. Every single one. I am horrified that this shooting took place. I am also horrified that everyday citizens are attacked. I am horrified by the increase of physical and verbal abuse of people of color,LBGT and immigrants. As citizens we must speak out against it and we need our politicians from Trump down to make a comment against each and every incident. There have been marches and attacks that threaten others and the individuals and groups say..This is Trump's America now, we can do this. He needs to make a bold statement that NO they can't. Sadly he is silent. He is learning to be a president. He needs to learn to do this NOW!

RetiredKat

Sadly...
Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sadly he is NOT silent. Even his own party try to tell him to stop. As long as his base keeps drinking the Kool-Aid he will continue. He always was and always will be for himself alone. He will not change now, he's too old.

One of the senators stated that there is a definite increase in the number of threats representatives of BOTH parties are receiving. That, unfortunately should come as no surprise.

The other day Ivanka stated that she was not prepared for the level of viciousness she has encountered. Has she not heard his attacks on everyone starting with members of his own party to those with the responsibility of keeping him safe? Thank God the shooter from NC was stopped before he could harm innocent people in a D.C. pizza parlor because he believed the fake news that it was the center of a child sex ring run by the Clinton's AND there were tunnels connecting it to other pizza parlors. So please remember the phrase about glass houses.

Funkster, once again, thank you for being the voice of reason.

RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Perhaps a more rational response would be:

1. Wait till the facts are in before spouting rhetoric.

2. Remember that one individual's actions and statements are not necessarily a reflection on others who may be of the same political party or other group.

3. Consider whether some of the root causes of such incidents could be better addressed. In this case, I would be thinking about

-whether the President could use his bully pulpit, not as a divisive bully, but as a way to bring us together to address the anger that has been building on both sides of the political divide.

-whether we could address mental health issues more effectively and proactively.

-whether we could again consider the gun control issue.

I am sure that many, many Democrats (even us lefties) are sickened by this incident, as we have been by many other incidents of this sort. Let's stop using buckets to throw blame around and look at our situation. Both sides need to work together to address the deeper issue at hand.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Lisa53
Old 06-14-2017, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you. That is just what we should do.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow. . . as predicted. I can't imagine the state of our schools at this point.

RetiredKat

Wow
Old 06-14-2017, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wow, deflecting...so you learn from the master. Bless your heart!

Old 06-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Wow, deflecting...so you learn from the master. Bless your heart!

Breathe.

Lynnteach2

Old 06-14-2017, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

0123456: Please explain how the shooting has anything to do with this comment you made- "Wow. . . as predicted.I can't imagine the state of our schools at this point." Thanks.

Last edited by Lynnteach2; 06-14-2017 at 03:36 PM..
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

I consider myself somewhere on the "left"
Old 06-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

and I am tired of people killing one another. Period. I also think our president is scary and does what he wants despite facts and against better judgement. I am listed as an independent on my voter registration but I do not promote hate or violence towards anyone--whether you are Democrat, Republican ...whatever.

I think the analagy people use of the Ku Klux Klan as not representing all Christians is a good one...I think we need to slow down and get all the facts. Each side has it's people who are delusional (?) but we shouldn't be lumped together.

Last edited by calumetteach; 06-14-2017 at 03:47 PM..
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

binkbonk

Old 06-15-2017, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am extremely liberal and like most liberals I am concerned about gun violence and the lack of mental health treatment available for people who need it. Most people I know are worried about potential violence the current administration seems to be stoking, not making jokes about it.
binkbonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:45 AM
This message has been deleted by 0123456. Reason: There's no listening anymore, so why try?

SusaninNJ

Love of country
Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I just don't see what you see. I wish Trump loved his country. To me it looks like Trump loves only Trump. It's impossible to know what is in anyone's heart but what do you see that gives you that impression?
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

I still am not understanding
Old 06-15-2017, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

the MSM rhetoric that caused this shooting.

It does not help any situation to attribute the cause to something without evidence that it was actually a cause. We have little to no information about this shooter.

Yes, he volunteered for Bernie's campaign, but thousands and thousands did. Bernie never promoted violence in his political career.
There are so many reasons why this could have happened. It seems wrong to randomly pick one and promote it as the reason.
Is it because Trump over and over talked violence and promoted street justice like "throw him out, lock her up, punch them in the nose and I'll pay the legal fees, etc."
Was it Paul Rand's tweet about #2nd amendment guns are not for deer, but to use on the government.
Was it the rise of hate groups and the loud messages they send.
Was it mental illness + easy access to guns

I also don't know what effect this is having in our schools. Teachers seem to be more anxious about having DeVos as head of education, the overwhelming data collection, testing and the climate in so many schools that teachers are always wrong than political messages from MSM. JMHO
Old 06-15-2017, 06:58 AM
This message has been deleted by 0123456. Reason: There's no listening anymore, so why try?

RetiredKat

Wow...
Old 06-15-2017, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

"I could go on and on" ....Please don't.

"calm down"... Please look in a mirror when you say that. Thank you.

SusaninNJ

Yes...wow
Old 06-15-2017, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Dialogue is so important but where to begin! I see a president who is obviously in way over his head, one who wants to play golf, one who is an ignorant, petty bully who talks like a seven year old. I don't see a smart man; rather, a very limited, insecure one. We are not the saviors of the world, but I think we have been the leaders, a country with ideals to emulate. I see us becoming a laughing stock and it saddens me.

A living wage, healthcare as a right, clean air and water, contributing to society are things that I care about. I don't care about wealth. It doesn't equal happiness.

Certainly there are things to improve. I have been very dissatisfied with the Democrats lately. They bailed in NJ and we've had the worst governor as a result.

I just hope we survive Trump.

funkster

SusaninNJ
Old 06-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

You state we have the worst governor in NJ. I think you should check the latest poll. He just got the highest rate ever!!! He rated 80% of the NJ citizens polled! Well, okay that was his disapproval rate, but no other NJ governor got that high a number.

Let's hope that the politics will start to look at issues instead of party.
No matter which party we belong to we actually want the same things. We want honest people in office. We want those people to look out for all Americans, not the ones who voted for them. We want good health care, a good budget, good school funding, clean air and water and a government that stands up against violence and will protect all its citizens no matter what religion, age, ethnic group or gender.
Which ever politician is voted in, make them provide us with these things!!!

Rkhnd

Then, what would you call it?!!!
Old 06-15-2017, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

"First of all, there is no knowledge that the person who did the shooting was an "unhinged radical""

First, are you suggesting that a person who stalks and hunts down people with whom he disagrees politically is "hinged"?

Secondly, are you suggesting that taking a gun and shooting into a group of defenseless people is not a radical response to political disagreement?

In my book, it sure sounds like the actions of an unhinged radical.
Rkhnd is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 06-15-2017, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
I could go on and on
Oh I wish you would. You fascinate me.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Old 06-16-2017, 01:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

is a troll. This person shows up every now and then. I don't respond to them anymore. (Nor will I respond on this thread to anything posted by this troll).
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

maryteach
Old 06-16-2017, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Thank you for confirming what I thought was a real possibility.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Call someone a troll because they don't agree with you. That's mature.

Rkhnd

Thats the way it seems to work
Old 06-16-2017, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

If your views don't fall lock step with the liberal ideolgy you are either a troll, hater, racist, or any permutation of the above.

aggie'swife

Old 06-17-2017, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Quote:
Let's hope that the politics will start to look at issues instead of party.
It's called term limits. When you end the era of career politicians and vote in people who want to offer their help for a very short time, we will be able to have as you wrote:

"We want honest people in office. We want those people to look out for all Americans, not the ones who voted for them. We want good health care, a good budget, good school funding, clean air and water and a government that stands up against violence and will protect all its citizens no matter what religion, age, ethnic group or gender."
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

SusaninNJ
Old 06-17-2017, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Quote:
Dialogue is so important but where to begin!
We are talking about the angry Bernie supporter that shot several people including the House Whip, right? And You are blaming Trump?

I see it differently. It seems that you don't hold the news media for round the clock hype that stirs emotions partially accountable....stirring emotions....but, then maybe that is their intent? Bernie....speaking of revolution - doesn't this add fuel?

What about social media groups such as the shooter belonged to? "The shooter, according to law enforcement, was James T. Hodgkinson, 66, who belonged to a number of anti-Republican groups, including one called “Terminate the Republican Party.” Others include: Hodgkinson belonged to multiple anti-GOP groups on Facebook, including:

▪ “The Road to H*ll is Paved with Republicans”
▪ “Donald Trump is not my President”
▪ “Illinois Berners United to Resist Trump”
▪ “Boycott the Republican Party”
▪ “Expose Republican Fraud”
▪ “Terminate the Republican Party”

Don't you think beonging to and actively participating with these media groups had something to do with it? But then, we can say that not everyone acts on what they say on-line, right? And I would even guess that there are even some posters that post on this chatboard that belong or visit those groups and are being checked out by law enforcement.

Again to make the argument that social media stirring peoples emotions plays a big part...

Below is a clip from an interesting article, in case you haven't read it, related to Bernie supporters harassment of Nevada's democratic chair.

Quote:
Pissed off Sanders supporters, watching the events unfold online from around the country, began circulating the personal contact information for state party chair Roberta Lange. As a result, Lange became the target of a barrage of harassment, including death threats and threats of violence sent via voicemail and text message.
It is very interesting and telling to read in the article the comments of the Bernie supporters that made those threats. The party shared many of those messages — "notably, and perhaps regrettably, without redacting some of the senders' phone numbers."

Rolling Stone called those Bernie supporters and their comments shows their clear surprise!

Many that were called on their hateful texts, mention the media sensationalizing news.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...chair-20160518

So maybe congress should look for a way to hold the media accountable for their actions while still allowing for free speech.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Dialogue
Old 06-17-2017, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I am sure that everything you quoted is accurate, but the right has just as many ludicrous, inflammatory examples. I've seen Hillary with a target drawn on her face, Obama with a noose, just to name two. Each side has a lunatic fringe. I believe, in our daily lives we have more in common than not.

I believe that the leader, the president has set the tone for the country, emboldening the lunatic fringe. I have never heard a candidate spew the foul vitriol that he did...calling on the Second Amendment People to take care of Hillary. I don't think it is surprising that crazies reacted. Now this poor congressman remains in critical condition! No one in their right mind wants more violence.

The press is not the enemy. The 24 hour "news" stations can exacerbate the problem for unstable viewers. I think it is their responsibility to tone it down. One wishes for a blizzard to give them something else to talk about.

Last edited by SusaninNJ; 06-17-2017 at 05:55 PM..

Marcee

I just wish it would stop!
Old 06-17-2017, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

We all need to CHILL OUT! I don't like what I am seeing/hearing at all, from both "sides". We need to grow up and be rational. Otherwise, we are doomed as a society.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Marcee
Old 06-18-2017, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Yours is an appeal to reason and sanity, which I appreciate. Progressives, however, don't feel that we can "chill out" while the EPA is dismantled, protections for LGBTQ students are removed, and most concerning of all, millions and millions of people stand to lose access to health care. We can't chill out when disabled and elderly people might be facing the loss of Medicaid, the loss of possibly their lives. I don't remember any other administration trying to kill the citizens. We can't "chill out" when our Congress, and our president, is trying to kill the old, the sick, the mentally ill, and the poor.

I am normally a fan of chilling out, but these days, if progressives "chill out" the end result is going to be terrible for all Americans. This should not be taken as an endorsement of violence, not at all, but progressives are not going to be able, in good conscience, to "chill out" at this time.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Rkhnd

I can only speak for myself, but
Old 06-18-2017, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

"Progressives, however, don't feel that we can "chill out" while the EPA is dismantled, protections for LGBTQ students are removed, and most concerning of all, millions and millions of people stand to lose access to health care."

I can't "chill out" while my daighter and granddaughter are at risk from any male hanging out in a woman's restroom or locker room because they claim to identify that way at the moment, despite their real intentions.

I can't chill out when I hear about innocent people dig on their own peoperty and end up being fined into lifelong debt because a puddle forms on their property when it rains and the EPA considers it "wet lands".

I can't chill out when many working middle class families can no longer afford their health insurance premimums which increase 20% annually, or afford the new annual deductables that cost thousands on top of the premimums.

subasaurus

Off-topic politics.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Ouch.

Let's stick to actual school-related issues on proteacher, instead of veering off-topic into heated, toxic "Twitter wars."

I'll start: Betsy DeVos is good or bad for schools because...
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

risky

Old 07-13-2017, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Why are we using this site for political views? Please spout your views elsewhere.
risky is offline   Reply With Quote