Help

Fourth Grade

Fourth grade quesrioab

>

NCteacher

Fourth grade quesrioab
Old 06-14-2017, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to be teaching a self contained fourth grade class next year. I have been departmentalized for the past two years, im and I have taught math and science. So I have some questions about the curriculum I am going to need to teach for the other subjects.

First, reading. In the past, every year I taught reading (pre common core), I required all my students to have a readers response journal. They wrote a weekly letter to me about their reading. I would assign 5 kids to turn theirs in each day of the week, then I would write back to them, asking questions about skills, vocabulary, what they were reading. It was a huge pain, but I felt that it was very meaningful. Does that fit with the common core curriculum, or is it outdated?

Second- Google classrrooom. I've never used it. What is it like? Is it going to help me or my students?

What are some good resources for teaching reading and writing in 4th grade? I am hoping to spend the summer studying up on what it is I will have to teach next year.

Last edited by NCteacher; 06-14-2017 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Ack! Can't edit the title!
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chris/4/pa

chris/4/pa
Old 06-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What resources do you have? Is there a curriculum you are suppose to be following? Are most of your students on level?
In our ELA curriculum, we are to teach the skills and strategies identified by our state as "core curriculum". PA has a site with materials tied to the standards. Does NC have something like that?
I use Reading A to Z resources because I can type in a skill (e.g.: main idea and details) and find leveled readers that I can match to my students' reading levels. Does your school identify reading levels at the beginning of the year? I look at their state scores in August, which gives me a rough outline of who is advanced, proficient, basic or below basic. This helps me to match materials to students. this gets reassessed and altered as I get to know the students.
chris/4/pa is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 06-15-2017, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, we use the common core curriculum. I am just nervous because it's been so long since I've taught it. We are not a title 1 school, so money is extremely tight, in addition to NC being almost at the bottom of the states as far as education. There are no textbooks because the state stopped funding them a few years ago. Title 1 schools can use the money to purchase materials, but we have gone from behind a very affluent school to be very close to title 1 status. We can't attend professional development out of the district unless we pay for it ourselves. It's just a mess

I think we might have the free trial of reading a-z. I am sure theee are son leveled readers somewhere.

eagles23

Old 06-15-2017, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have a basal or a set curriculum for reading? We use the Daily 5/Cafe for our reading and do not use a basal but let students read books that are on their level and match their interests. We do use Reading A - Z as well. My kids do have a response journal. We do a quick share after our Read to Self every day so I don't take them up every week. I do check them periodically, but I am departmentalized and I don't have time to check and respond to that many every week. I use Mentor Sentences for grammar/writing instruction and my kids love them. I am also interested in learning more about Google Classroom because we are getting Chromebooks next year. Good luck!
eagles23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

reading
Old 06-16-2017, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

First, reading. a readers response journal. They wrote a weekly letter to me about their reading. asking questions about skills, vocabulary, what they were reading.

Does that fit with the common core curriculum, or is it outdated?
It could still be beneficial based on the CCSS. But frankly, I've gotten away from this. This was basically from the readers workshop model (Atwell and Fountas and Pinnell too). It did become cumbersome and worked if students were strictly reading on their own. But now, typically there is time set apart for guided or lit circle reading at their levels and a separate time for indy reading. We do much more graphic organizers and summaries to correlate the skills I do genre studies so that you can get at the common core standards but at the student's reading level. I know many use A-Z. I don't care for the literature ones but the nonfiction are ok. I tend to use novels, short stories and readworks articles. That's a free source!
Does NC give PARCC OR AIR state tests? If so, often folktales are covered heavily. There are lots available online for that.

Second- Google classrroom. I've never used it. What is it like? Is it going to help me or my students? Our students each have chromebooks. We use some parts of the google. I like assigning written responses so that they type their answers and "share" with me via google. I can read and comment back to them. We use google. docs for all writing assignments during writing time.

What are some good resources for teaching reading and writing in 4th grade? I am hoping to spend the summer studying up on what it is I will have to teach next year. Just get super acquainted with the standards (they were recently revised too) And of course check back here often Do you have the year mapped out ?

Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 06-16-2017, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you!!! I appreciate the replies. They are very helpful. In NC we take the End of Grade tests in Reading and Math. They are marathon 4 hour long tests. I won't even get started on that.

My most recent literacy training was a long time ago and was the readers workshop model. I used it in 3rd grade with phenomenal results- but that was before the Common Core.

I have the math curriculum mapped out based on our curriculum map from the past school year. That's it. Is there anyone who would be willing to share their curriculum map?

Y'all are always so helpful!

Marcee

Reading
Old 06-18-2017, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Does your school/district have a set ELA curriculum, such as Houghton Mifflin, McMIillan, etc? Start with that. If they don't, are there novel sets you can use for novel study? At least small group sets? For close reading and practice, you might want to try Readworks.org.

Google Classroom is amazing! I hope you get to take some kind of training on using it. I use it as an organizer for all of my assignments. The kids just know to go there to find them.

Good luck!
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 06-18-2017, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our set ELA curriculum is the Common Core. There aren't any textbooks for any subject. I hate feeling like I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm planning on trying to spend time over the summer to familiarize myself with the Common Core for ELA.

luvinit

4th Grade Curriculum
Old 06-28-2017, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Google "Ready NC" by Curriculum Associates. There is a math and ELA Instruction book. The ELA workbook covers ALL the common core standards in approximately 33 lessons. The lessons are grouped by the big ideas, such as Author's craft, text structure, and etc.
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote