Help

Career Decisions

New teacher wanting to become a counselor

>

NewCAteacher

New teacher wanting to become a counselor
Old 06-15-2017, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone. I just completed my first year teaching SPED at the elementary level. Loved the kids, the relationships, working with a team, and collaborating to find solutions for social, emotional, behavioral and learning challenges. Hated the ENDLESS lesson planning, the absolutely absurd expectations, the constant blame from admin, and just never feeling like what I was doing was good enough (a problem I hear from almost every teacher!) I know counseling still has its fair share of downsides and lesson planning, but it does entail more of what I love and less of what I don't. Has anyone made the switch? What were the steps? Could you work while going thru the program? Thank you in advance!!

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

teacher to counselor
Old 06-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I became a school psych, but the path started off the same.

I was in a program that was in the evenings and online which allowed me to work (not sleep, though). The first year or so the school psychs had the same foundation classes as the school counselors, but then we branched off.
eeza is online now   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 06-18-2017, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I worked throughout my program. I took one class per semester during the school year and 2 or 3 during the summers. It took 4 years to complete. I paid as I went, so no loan to repay. However, the practicum was tricky. Getting the required hours of counseling in while still in the classroom was difficult. I was also doing intense training in using technology in the classroom during the same time period. It was like doing 2 master's programs at one time. I ruined my health with too much stress and not enough sleep.

And I'm still in the classroom. School counseling jobs are few and far between here. Also when I came through the program, the testing component was not included. The powers that be wanted school counselors to counsel not test. Now it's difficult to land a position without that testing component.

Last edited by chalkdusty; 06-18-2017 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Added info
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Thank you
Old 06-18-2017, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you both. I honestly don't mind testing. I have to do a lot of testing in my current job when triennial IEPs come up. It's the incessant, never ending lesson planning and constantly feeling like I work in a war zone where teachers can do no right that is really going to push me out of this specific position. I'm open to all the different possibilities in school counseling.
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote