Help

The Job Search

bad year, how to write resume

>

VAtoFL

bad year, how to write resume
Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any suggestions...
Last year I was working in Virginia, wasn't loving the job, but it paid the bills, and I was able to get a second job in the area which DID help pay the bills!

However, I started a relationship with an old friend and he asked me to move in with him in Florida. I took the plunge and went, only to find out that Florida is a HORRIBLE place to be a teacher. I've been teaching for 13 years, have two masters and make LESS than I did my first year teaching. The year has been horrible, I've had a few missteps and my job record for this past school year, while I did work all year, was pretty bad. I encountered charter schools for the first time and had no idea how bad they could be.

I did one stint teaching in a non-traditional setting, and it was wonderful, but it was for a set period of time, so that contract ended. I finished out the last two months of the school year in an interim position at a public school which wasn't bad, either, but the pay is so awful all I can do is pay my bills. There is literally nothing left over.

I'm seriously considering going back to Virginia, because life on the home front isn't great because I seriously don't like where I live, the BF is having a hard time making the home feel like I live there (I still feel like I'm permanently visiting...he has a hard time getting rid of all his 'collections' and there's literally no room for my stuff...after a year, this is getting old).

So, finally, here is the question: how would I explain this 'terrible, horrible, no good very bad year' on my resume and in an interview? I thought I would say that I felt like I was in a rut and wanted to explore other opportunities (the wonderful job was teaching on a TV show set, so that's kind of cool, and it was a different grade level and subject, so I grew a bit as a professional). The area I want to return to does have a shortage of teachers in my area (ESOL), so I could probably find work if I try really hard. But I want to come off as professional, not as a flake who moved for love!

I don't need to be told I should have, could have. I know I didn't think this out well. I need advice as to how to handle this 'gap' in my resume. Thanks!

Thanks again!

VAtoFL is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-16-2017, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I personally would put the jobs down on your resume as usual. It would be great if it were all one school district, but I'm guessing it's not? If it is, just one entry for the district and list the positions underneath.

Your cover letter is where I'd address it. After 13 wonderful years in Virginia, you were given an opportunity in Florida. Age a year there, you realized your heart is in Virginia and you are excited to return for another wonderful 13 years. Not that sappy, but just address it with a few sentences, short and sweet, and move on. Really highlight your strengths for whatever position you're going for. Don't mention love at all. Good luck!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I thought I would say that I felt like I was in a rut and wanted to explore other opportunities
I would not mention that because it could be interpreted as the school in Virginia not providing you with an opportunity for growth.

Keep it simple like the person above mentioned. You could say you moved due to circumstances with family (loved one) and the issues has resolved. Highlight your desire to remain in the position.

Good Luck!!
Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-16-2017, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I see nothing wrong with saying you moved for a relationship, but it didn't work out.

I would include at least the good experiences on the resume so it shows you worked this past year. Only you know whether to include all your experiences.

Good Luck!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

BritishPanda

Focus on the positives as hard as it can be
Old 06-16-2017, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm sorry you had a terrible year.

I suggest leaving the placement on your resume. Without it you'll have an unexplained gap and that could work against you. Instead I'd leave it on your resume and focus on the accomplishments you did have. What happened in the teaching experiences you did have? What results you have? Did you learn any skills or do any professional development? It is ok if you don't have a lot to put for this placement, but that honestly can work in your favor since most employers take 10 seconds or less to read a resume.

As for the interview (if they bring it up), you want to keep it brief and do a positive spin. You want to say what you learned from the experience and how it helped you be a better teacher. Mostly the interview is your chance to show employers how you can help them and what you can do for them. So if they do ask about you the "tell me about yourself" question or ask questions about what your current year, just focus on what you are able to do and the results you were created.

BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

unnecessary details
Old 06-16-2017, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Okay, I don't see what you perceive. There's barely a gap first of all and what you could say is you moved to Florida from your home state just to see what's out there. You took a risk and you evolved in your practise. Due to a loved one's health at home, you had to move back to help take care and share the responsibility. There's nothing wrong with saying that and if they ask, and this is not relevant to the job, if you would move back if your loved one recovers, let them know that you would because of the weather/climate or something funnier.
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-16-2017, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Moved for personal reasons, it didn't work out and you're moving back. And, they can't ask you beyond that since it's personal so they'll have to back off.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

VAtoFL

Old 06-16-2017, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for all the input, lots of things to think about, but a lot of great ideas. Sometimes it really helps to get a viewpoint that's outside of your own head!
VAtoFL is offline   Reply With Quote