Second Grade

Classroom Library & Book Boxes

>

Mrs G

Classroom Library & Book Boxes
Old 06-16-2017, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!
Newly moving to grade two after teaching in the upper grades for several years. Haven't used book boxes in a while. Would love to hear how teachers approach their classroom library management:
What child has what book in their book box?
Where do they get returned?
How do the kids know where to put the books?
Library shopping?
I would really appreciate some insight on how this works in other classrooms. In my 10 years of teaching I still haven't figured out a system for my library and it's always a mess!
TIA!!

Mrs G is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Book boxes
Old 06-17-2017, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My kids had one day a week to shop for their leveled books for the week. Depending on their level, they took between 3 and 5.

I quit using boxes because they took up too much room. So I switched to heavy duty baggies. I think they came from Really Good Stuff....they have a yellow binder paper print on them. Bags were kept in their desks.

They had to take one home each night to read. Trained them to return them every day. You end up losing just a few....the cost of doing business.

There was no checkout system.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Classroom library
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My students keep theirs sturdy plastic book boxes in their classroom cubbies. After the first week of second grade I have them choose one fiction book, one nonfiction, one magazine, and one other book. Some choose another picture book, others can pick a chapter book. My books are generally leveled and I tell some kids to choose from Fiction-1 thru Fiction-5, for example. Each book has a small sticker label so students return their own books. During a workshop rotation a small group can bookshop.
What saved my sanity in the last couple years was my super simple labeling system. My books are F, NF, CH (chapter), and they are numbered 1 thru whatever is needed. So although I don't know the exact level of every book, I group my authors and/or subject matter. It's been working well!
slg is offline   Reply With Quote