Fourth Grade

What are some must "knows"?

>

Marji

What are some must "knows"?
Old 06-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
I am moving from Kindergarten to 4th grade. I am excited about the move, but I've worked with little ones for so long that I want to make sure I am treating my 4th graders like 4th graders. Would you all mind sharing your best tips about this wonderful age group ie classroom management, things they like and do not like (stickers, call backs, etc.), anything you think would be helpful. Thanks!

Marji is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Taught Fourth Years Ago
Old 06-17-2017, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I loved teaching fourth grade. They are old enough to be independent but most are not hormonal yet.

Their independence allows you to walk around and help those in need plus run small groups.

Their literature is much more engaging that what you have been reading with K.

In K students are learning to read. In fourth grade they are reading to learn.

In reading you will focus on reading comprehension strategies. I love this website for that very purpose.

http://reading.ecb.org/

They are not too old to be read aloud to. I read to mine every day. We worked on listening comprehension.

In math they have already learned to add, subtract, multiply and divide. But they still need practice to commit these basics to memory so they don't get slowed down as they use them in the process to solve larger math problems.

They also need to practice solving word problems. Help them by having them act out some of the problems. Many problems suggest situations they have yet to experience. Then help them to visualize the problems as well. Model, model, model and practice, practice, practice.

Study math vocabulary in various ways so they own all those words like perimeter, parallel, polygon, pentagon, prism..... This helps with understanding greatly. Also teach them to use their glossary when they do not remember the word's definition. Here is an online dictionary I really like.

http://amathsdictionaryforkids.com/dictionary.html

Science should be as hands on as possible. Then spend time discussing what you learned from the experiment afterwards. Look up scientist of the week here on PT in the search box. Best thing I ever did. It brought dad's into my classroom to share science with the kids. Love it! Here is a great website of experiments.

https://sciencebob.com/

Social studies usually focuses on the history, government and geography of your state. I found this fun. The students usually are bored with the text book. Teach with picture books, newspaper articles, field trips, online goodies, films and guest speakers. Make it fun! I bought a newspaper for my students to use. Well the parents actually paid for it. It is worth every penny. So much better than a dated text book. It will cover all the CC standards for your state.

https://www.studiesweekly.com/

Give them some choices in what they write about. They will produce better for you if given a choice. Write across the curriculum. If they do not like writing but they like science at least they will be happy that the content is science once in a while.

Be firm but fair. Also consistent. No emotions just the facts. Have private conferences with a child outside the door to give them privacy. I usually gave them a job as they entered the room. Like, "Oh Johnny will you get the math block out for us later. I want to have those ready. Thank you so much!" This makes walking back in the room a little easier. (most of the time)

If you have a choice allow snack. Their lunch is usually later and they get hungry. They are growing like weeds and can think and work better with a mid morning snack.

Give them the privilege of going to the bathroom when they need to as long as you are not lecturing. Explain this is a privilege for mature students who know how to act appropriately. If they mess up then they have to ask permission. It is best to have a nonverbal symbol to request bathroom visits. Then you just point and nod. Means you can keep teaching.

Good luck in your new position. I hope you really enjoy this age. I did.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

4th graders
Old 06-18-2017, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome to fourth! 1956 gave some great tips. I'd add that 4th graders are just bigger kids who still love stickers and personal attention. I use parts of Responsive Classroom ideas for management. One Is the Morning Meeting. I had let it go for a couple of years and noticed my classes were not doing as well getting along and working together as they should. Its basically a chance to start the day with a positive note (greeting one another & sharing something. ) Check that out if you're interested😀
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Marji

Great tips!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I appreciate the very detailed reply 1956BD and the links. I will definitely check those out. Thank you.

Linda, I've never used morning meeting, but have always been intrigued by the idea. We have to teach math first thing in the morning following that with Religion and then ELA. In your experience would morning meeting work at the end of the day with a different title?

I appreciate both of your responses. Thank you for the gift of your time!
Marji is offline   Reply With Quote

Ninetwo

4th grade
Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They are great! They are hilarious and understand jokes. They still love all the things the little ones love. I use call backs and they have fun with them. Just love them! You will be fine!

Ninetwo is offline   Reply With Quote