Bridges

>

Lafmom

Bridges
Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone!

Happy Summer!

Just wondering if any of you have experience with the Bridges math program. My school is switching from Investigations to Bridges this coming year. Interested in comments, suggestions, etc.

Thanks!

Lafmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Bridges
Old 06-20-2017, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's a beast and I hate it! The prep takes hours, for both lessons and games. The binders are only black and white and teeny print.

I skipped lessons because they made no sense. They want second graders to do up to triple addition and subtraction with regrouping without teaching the algorithm. They're supposed to use a number line or a truly convoluted method of breaking apart and re grouping.

Time is a standard...it is only (and barely) taught in number corner. Same with money, I think.

There are thousands of manipulatives to care for. You need lots of storage boxes.

The assessments are good, but, again, take hours to score.

Most of the work is done in pairs, or as games. Very little workbook practice. Parents don't understand it.

If you have more than 20 kids, there's never enough materials. The cards are a nightmare to keep track of.

I had 32 kids...it doesn't work with that many.

And...it's not the least bit fun to teach.

Have I scared you? Just be prepared to spend up to two hours a day prepping.

Oh, and read ahead. Sometimes you need things like TP tubes or beans or string...which are not provided.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lafmom

Exactly what I was afraid of
Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

francis

Year 3
Old 06-21-2017, 01:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In the fall we will begin our third year in Bridges. It was difficult the first year. I agree with many of K' points, but I do not hate it. I prep all pages for the unit before each unit and the second year was much better. Triple digit is a common core standard for second grade. No algorithum fits common core too which is introduced in third grade. The strategies make sense and help kids understand place value vs carry the 1 which most kids think is 1 vs 1 group of 10. Most parents teach it at home.

There is not enough money practice. They spend too much time on cute lessons that use nonstandard units of measure like inch worms and second grade standards call for standard measurements of inches, feet, etc..

Yes, make sure you read ahead for beans and materials not included. I got a bunch of the clear shoe box size containers and labeled the manipulatives but the special decks of cards are a pain to manage. I am going to pre-prep the games by purchasing additional regular decks of cards which can be used for many games. The kids love playing the games!

There are whole class lessons too. We have a workbook for Bridges whole class lessons, a workbook for number corner, and one for homework.

A lot of reading the first year! We no longer do the checkpoint assessments and we do the first three out of four number corner assessments. Pre- assessments are done if the teacher wants but it is not required. In year 1 we only got to 6 units out of 8. In year 2 we only got to 7 units.
francis is offline   Reply With Quote

tntworth

Spent the last week of school
Old 06-21-2017, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Recycling the entire school's Bridges curriculum.

tntworth is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 06-21-2017, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've used it in 3rd grade for 10 years, both the first and second editions. My students have a better number sense and superior problem solving skills than when I used other programs.

The program comes with enough materials for 30 students. The second edition uses a student workbook in addition to one for Number Corner and Home Connections.

I read the manual and highlighted key parts. I kept notes about adjustments that were needed.

Make sure that you get a site license for the blog and online assessment scoring templates. (It's free).

Also the company is wonderful about responding to questions through emails and phone calls.

Yes, the amount of materials to weed through is overwhelming at first, but hopefully I've given you some positives to combat the negatives.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Lafmom

Thanks so much!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The materials alone are a bit overwhelming. Plus finding time in my daily schedule for the regular lesson plus the number corner is really going to impact my day.
fran123

fran123

bridges
Old 06-25-2017, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I WISH my school used Bridges! TntWorth- I would have bought your curriculum from you!
I stumbled upon lots of Bridges math games while trying to supplement our boring, no-fun Singapore math curriculum and the more free stuff/samples I find online, the more I love it! I love how they give you "Work Stations" and games to go with each unit. The games are kind of a pain to make the first time around (same with EDM, TERC, etc) but then you have them ready to go for subsequent years! I like how they spiral skills throughout the year, but gradually increase the difficulty level. I agree with PP, I think the way they foster number sense and conceptual understanding is awesome. They incorporate real world scenarios and their units have engaging themes for the kids. I feel like it's like a blend of Everyday Math and Fosnot's Contexts in Learning Mathematics. There is problem solving built into almost every lesson, which is great. I found the entire 2nd grade student workbook online and I use it all the time in class in leu of our workbooks. I also agree with PP that some of the units are a little more cutesy than they need to be, but I appreciate the effort!