Fifth Grade

Lucy Caulkins

>

bernard1

Lucy Caulkins
Old 06-21-2017, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone
Our county is adopting the Lucy Caulkins writing program next year. I hear it is a lot of work on the teachers part. I am looking for any advice, resources, helpful hints, websites to go to, etc., to help the transition be a little easier. I look forward to hearing from everyone.
Cathy

bernard1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Giraffiesauru

Take a Deeeeep Breath.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Lucy's teacher manuals are long winded and overwhelming. My first year, my coach recommended focusing on the teaching point, posters/anchor charts and the share. then we worked on conferencing. still working on conferencing.

I hope they are providing professional development for you all?
Giraffiesauru is offline   Reply With Quote

ancientciv

Here's where I would start
Old 07-20-2017, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1) watch the introductory videos online http://www.heinemann.com/unitsofstudy/writing/
2) three books come with your kit - a guide to the writing workshop, writing pathways, and the if . . . then curriculum - these are great resources!
3) consider joining the Facebook groups - they are a wonderful resource
ancientciv is offline   Reply With Quote

bernard1

lucy caulkins
Old 07-21-2017, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your advice....they are providing some professional development for us....I greatly appreciate you responding to my post!!!!
Cathy
bernard1 is offline   Reply With Quote

ladyluvteach

Tc
Old 07-24-2017, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Lucy Calkins curriculum is a lot of work. It is a narrative. You can lose focus as to what your objective is for the students, what are they expected to do and how will you know they got it. The best advice is to look at the teaching point and make sure it has only one objective it in it. I have found some of the lessons actually turn into 3 or 4 different mini-lessons. This year I focused on what is the end product that I want the kids to achieve and work backwards cutting out lessons that I didn't need and building in others that are not included.

The best advice is focus one unit at a time. Sit down and really read it first just to get a general view and of course you have to tailor it to meet the needs of the kids and your teaching timeline.

ladyluvteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sneazer

Sneazer
Old 08-19-2017, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Lucy Caulkins is very involved...BUT...she will make you a better teacher of writing. This is our third year using the program, and I feel like I have a much better handle on teaching writing because of Lucy. Take baby steps. Do what you can with the group you have. We found it almost impossible to do every part of Lucy's plan, but we do our best every year.

We made a reference packet for students that included an outline of what each paragraph might look like, transition words, ways to begin/end each paragraph, etc. Use the anchor papers included with your Lucy purchase. They give students a good idea of what is expected of them.

Students were given a two-pocket folder in which all things pertaining to Lucy were kept. This way, everything was in one place. Those folders did not go into the lockers, nor did they go home, unless absolutely necessary (rarely). This way, everyone had their necessary materials.

Lucy wants you to share your writing enthusiasm with the kids. It works. Kids get motivated and follow your example. Pretend if you have to! It'll be worth it.

(We only got through two out of the four genres the first year. This year, we are attempting to get through three.)

Good luck! - and HAVE FUN!
Sneazer is offline   Reply With Quote