Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Interviewed today

>

BamaChic

Interviewed today
Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught 6th grade for the past 10 years and I interviewed for a kindergarten and 1st grade positions today. I am excited and nervous about leaving my school if hired. I am thinking about setting up classroom, small group, stations. What is a definitely must have at these grades?

BamaChic is offline   Reply With Quote

Jerebo

Old 06-24-2017, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You will definitely need pocket charts. You can use them for so many things. You can use them for center group rotations. You can use them to post your standards and objectives. You can use them as a learning center. You can use them for sight words, poems, sentences, letter and letter sounds, digraphs, and blends. The list goes on and on, but you can never have enough of them.

Student whiteboards are also a must-have. I have two types of whiteboards. I have these paddle whiteboards that are great for the kids to hold up and show me their answers. Then I have these makeshift whiteboards which basically consist of heavy-weight sheet of paper and a sheet protector. They are also great for sliding templates (number bonds, add/sub equations, etc) into them (with the heavy-weight paper behind it for support).

Go to the dollar store and buy a few packs of baby socks. They are great as dry erasers for the kids and when the socks get yucky, all you have to do is throw them in the washer.

Baskets from the dollar store are great for storing centers and you can color-code them for differentiation. All my baskets are blue, green, and red. Blue for high groups. Green for on-level groups. Red for low groups.

Having a personal laminator is such a lifesaver. I don't know what other schools do, but at my school, you can to request for something to be laminated and you won't get it for 1-2 days. I am kind of impatient and most the things I need fit on a standard size paper, so it's good to have one.

Giant sticky note easel pads are the best thing ever! Great for making on-the-fly charts or student group-created posters. Stick them up on the wall and they'll stay for a good few weeks.

Dollar store magazine holders are great for cubby organization. The kids keep their textbooks and independent reading bookbags in there. Unfinished classwork or unfinished coloring sheets lays in the cubby outside the box as a reminder to them to finish them.
Jerebo is offline   Reply With Quote