Most important topics/skills to teach when tutoring a 6th grader in literacy - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Sixth Grade

Most important topics/skills to teach when tutoring a 6th grader in literacy

>

sandycheeks

Most important topics/skills to teach when tutoring a 6th grader in literacy
Old 06-24-2017, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am tutoring a 6th grader this summer and havent taught this grade. what are the most important topics to reteach or preteach for this age? Literacy- spelling, reading, writing skills, etc.

Thanks

sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote

expert6

expert6

depends on student needs...
Old 06-26-2017, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The range of student need in the sixth grade is very wide. Sometimes students need decoding skills, including phonics, and at the other end, they may need instruction in advanced literary topics such as dramatic irony.

That being said, I do focus on certain things during a school year for whole-class instruction.

1. context clues for vocabulary at three levels- morphemes (including affixes and roots), sentence, and paragraph clues
2. text structure- fiction and non-fiction forms
3. plot mapping for fiction- I also add classic conflict archetypes to this instruction
4. SQ3R reading method for nonfiction and a related method I developed for fiction
5. responding in writing- claim and support, support, support
6. poetry- forms, interpreting language; a great way to teach figurative language