Do you model phonetic/invented spelling during your writing block? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Do you model phonetic/invented spelling during your writing block?

>

Jerebo

Do you model phonetic/invented spelling during your writing block?
Old 06-25-2017, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In previous years, I always modeled writing my words correctly even if the students "guided" me through writing it by stretching out the word and telling me the letter sounds they hear. If the word is "tricky" as they spell it to me, I write it correctly and then talk about why the word looks different than it sounds. I briefly talk about it but I don't go in-depth about it if I haven't introduced the phonics rule for it yet (we use Saxon Phonics). For example, they spell to me the word 'said' as 's-e-d' or 's-a-d'.

I would talk about how sometimes two vowels beside each other then the first vowel does all the talking. Brief and to the point, but when I did this, my kids this year got really hung up on the correct spelling of things and started to second guess their own abilities. Say they were trying to spell the word 'rag' in a sentence in their journals during independent writing. Then just about everyone is raising their hand while I'm conferencing with lower students, wanting to know if there's an 'ai' in 'rag' because of what I said before.

I always, always, always encouraged them to spell words phonetically unless it's a sight word or a word that uses an introduced phonic rule (like 'c or k' rule or digraph 'ck'). I praised them for effort. Yet there was always hesitation to spell and write because they were never confident with their abilities.

I had a similar problem during the 2015-2016, but not to the extent as my 2016-2017 class. I'm starting to wonder if I should practice what I'm preaching by modeling phonetic spelling to make them more comfortable with writing independently and then "evolve" my writing alongside them as we learn more sight words, letter sounds, and phonics rules for the upcoming school year.

I've done some research all over the internet and I've seen so many opposing views from educators. Some are for it. Some are against it.

Any tips or advice from personal experience?

Thanks!

Jerebo is offline   Reply With Quote
iteachk2010
Old 06-25-2017, 12:15 PM
This message has been deleted by iteachk2010.

bison06

Spelling
Old 06-25-2017, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm interested to see responses. I have always done as you have done but saw a video recently where the teacher said they were using "kindergarten spelling" and they spelled it phonetically. This will be my first year teaching kindergarten.
bison06 is online now   Reply With Quote

mandamouse123

Old 06-26-2017, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm curious to see responses, too! I can only say that for me, it depends on what time of day it is. If it's morning message-- they're reading, and I'm writing-- I spell things correctly. If it's an anchor chart-- I'm writing/recording for them-- I write correctly. If it's us working together to model what their work should look like, or us practicing writing together (like writer's workshop) -- us working together-- I do kid writing.

I did have one student this past year who was a very high level reader and writer who always said that I was spelling things wrong. So we had a lot of discussions about how it is okay to just write the sounds you hear if you don't know all the "secrets" to spelling yet.

I don't typically have students second guessing themselves. During morning message, we talk about why some letters are misbehaving, but when it comes to writer's workshop, I ask wondering questions, like, "I wonder where you could find that word in the classroom," or, "What could you do if you don't know how that word is spelled?" I am MEAN.
mandamouse123 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 06-26-2017, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I modeled correctly both in PreK and now in 2nd. I also expect word wall words to be spelled correctly as well as words from around the room (lots of labels).

To combat what you've mentioned, I ignore them. I know it may sound mean, but I've noticed that if I'm willing to stop and spell then they second guess. If I leave them alone, they pout but eventually figure it out best they can. I also make a big deal out of their writing regardless of spelling. At that age they aim to please and to be praised.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 06-26-2017, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I modeled correctly both in PreK and now in 2nd. I also expect word wall words to be spelled correctly as well as words from around the room (lots of labels).

To combat what you've mentioned, I ignore them. I know it may sound mean, but I've noticed that if I'm willing to stop and spell then they second guess. If I leave them alone, they pout but eventually figure it out best they can. I also make a big deal out of their writing regardless of spelling. At that age they aim to please and to be praised.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-28-2017, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm in kinder and model correct spelling, although we talk about invented spelling all the time. When we are spelling together it's the time I talk about all of the vowel teams, blends, etc. that some kids are ready for, but not most. This gives them the chance to learn how some of that spelling works while practicing segmenting with the rest of the kids.

I never ever spell anything for the kids when they are writing, but will always help them sound it out if they need that scaffold. And I give ridiculous praise at the beginning of the year for those that are trying. I think that's what gets them independent and confident. I find that the ones who struggle are the really high readers who know it doesn't look right but don't know how to "fix" it.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-30-2017, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would model stretching out the word as a minilesson in writer's workshop emphasizing that when they are doing this writing it is so very important to get their ideas written down while it is in their head. It's a tough one, though!
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Phonetic/invented spelling
Old 07-01-2017, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Morning messages that we read together have correct spelling. When kids have to add words to the message I scribe their sound spellings.

Mini lessons on stretching sounds to spell are done periodically to reinforce doing this during writing.

We also do this during making words activities and dictation (Fundations) where we write letters that make sounds, words, sentences.

Kids have a posted word wall and a printed one in their writing folders ( they have to be reminded to use these).

Finally, I usually don't give spelling words during writing, but when they are asked to write about something specific (PTA assembly they saw), I provide a word bank on Smart board. This helps the reluctant writers to get started.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Jerebo

Old 07-01-2017, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It is very interesting to see how everyone teaches in their writing block. It definitely gives me something to think about.
Jerebo is offline   Reply With Quote