Fourth Grade

Classroom Library Org. via Book Whisperer guidelines

>

Readerforlife

Classroom Library Org. via Book Whisperer guidelines
Old 06-25-2017, 11:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good afternoon all!

I am trying to become super organized for the upcoming school year for a multitude of reasons. I want my students to actively use the classroom library.

I will be instituting Daily 5 and The Book Whisperer ideas into my classroom.

I think organizing the classroom library by genre is the most advantageous to the kids.
I want to label the books with appropriate stickers, but not sure how far to take it. I feel just dividing the library into fiction and nonfiction won't help the kids with delving into the genres. Do I label each genres such as myth, folklore, etc OR do I just do traditional literature?

How do you organize the books into book baskets?

What do you do?

I also want to use stickers to label each book, what kind of stickers do you use?

I have received amazing feedback about improving my writing portion of the class and I know this plea for classroom library organization will have the same suggestions. I love hearing how everyone else does it and then using what I can for my students.
THank you!

Readerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2TeachInTX

Old 06-25-2017, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have mine in book baskets in very simple categories. Fiction, Non-Fiction, Holidays, Social Studies, Realistic Fiction, Leveled Readers, Fairy Tales, Animals, etc. I also have baskets by author depending on how many books I had. I have a Dr. Seuss basket, Franklin, Arthur....
Luv2TeachInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you

Thank you

Old 06-28-2017, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the category ideas.

pausebutton

Old 06-28-2017, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have the genre posters from this link hanging near my library and organize the books into baskets. I use color dot stickers and write the same codes that you see on the poster...so F for fantasy, B for biography, etc.
http://www.mrsgoldsclass.com/Genres.htm
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee76

Book organization
Old 06-29-2017, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I organize my books by genre and label them inside the cover. I number each book basket and then write that number in the book. I have a large crate where students return books once they finish reading them. Then my classroom assistant returns those books to the correctly numbered basket. It makes it a lot easier to get books placed back in the right basket and remain organized by the correct genre.

busybee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

dianemcq

Library Organization
Old 07-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mine is very similar to Luv2TeachinTX. I followed Donalyn Miller's suggestions so that multiple baskets may have the same number on them. That way if I obtain more say, autobiographies, I just add another basket with an identical number. Each book in the basket has one of those simple round stickers (Wal-Mart) with the number to match the basket. There are some unused basket numbers, but basically in my library baskets #1-9 are for genres, #10-19 is for specialized books...horse books, sports, etc....#20-29 are for book series and #30-39 are for particular authors such as Andrew Clements. I've used it for six years now and it's been a perfect system.
dianemcq is offline   Reply With Quote