Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

When do you start using the curriculum?

>

ProudMom715

When do you start using the curriculum?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there! I'm returning to teaching after 5 years of being a stay at home mom. I will be teaching PreK4 for the first time although I have taught Kindergarten - Fifth Grades before. My school follows the Starfall Curriculum.

When do you start following the curriculum as its planned? First full week of school, second week? Can anyone give me there input on this particular curriculum? I've only used Starfall.com as a great online learning tool.

Thanks! I appreciate your responses!

ProudMom715 is offline   Reply With Quote

mandamouse123

Old 06-30-2017, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! I start different pieces at different times.

For math, I do start calendar from the 1st or 2nd day of school, so that takes up part of the math block. I also start mini lessons and class sharing the 1st or 2nd day. My mini lessons and class sharing aren't curriculum based, though. I take the whole first week to let them play with the manipulatives at their table. So my mini lessons are about how they can use each math toy. i.e. geoboard rubber bands are for making pictures or shapes, not snapping onto people's arms or shooting across the room.

For phonics, I start right away with whole group stuff. Independently I have them work on handwriting strokes, name activities, and fine motor skills.

For science/history, I start right away with citizenship, since that is one of my SS standards. Lots of whole group games and books about getting along.

For writing, I start right away. Lots of modeling and baby steps, though.

For reading comprehension, I start the 2nd week of school. I replace this with games and songs to learn names, work as a team, procedures, simple following directions activities, etc.

For centers/guided reading, I don't start pulling groups until I've seen that they can work independently.

I've used bits and pieces of the K Starfall curriculum. I LOVED the Pre-k curriculum. I like the K curriculum, but you'll have to add in your own guided reading. Their small groups that they want you to pull don't explicitly teach small group guided reading skills. I would suggest The Next Step Forward in Guided Reading by Jan Richardson, it's a fantastic book!
mandamouse123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 07-02-2017, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It totally depends on your class and the population you serve. I teach public pre-k for only students considered "at-risk" due to income or with a disability. I can't start curriculum the first day. It takes us a solid 2 weeks to get the classroom rules, procedures and structures down pat before I do anything academic. If you serve a different population or are in a private school, you might more easily be able to start within the first few days.

ProudMom715

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks Mandamouse123's for your response. Very helpful information. I appreciate it!! Happy 4th

ProudMom715

Private school
Old 07-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi Prekteach13, I will be at a private school. Most of the students have attended school before, so I envision starting the curriculum the third week of school and focusing on rules and procedures the first two weeks, like you.

Thanks for your input!! Happy 4th