Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Reading and writing workshop

>

scprek

Reading and writing workshop
Old 07-02-2017, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What does reading and writing workshop look like in your Pre K class?

scprek is offline   Reply With Quote

Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 07-03-2017, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 2 half-day sessions (3 hours each), so it definitely isn't ideal for setting up the type of literacy program I'd like. However, we do accomplish a lot in that time. I use zoophonics and introduce the letters/sounds during large group each day. It usually takes about 2 weeks to introduce all the letters & sounds. After that, we begin using heidisongs (which is aligned to zoophonics) to introduce the letter formation songs. I usually teach 2 songs/week. Typically, by December we've covered all the letters, sounds, and letter formation.

Aside from the phonics that we do during large group and small group, I incorporate literacy and pre-writing activities into the classroom. I have a writing center and an alphabet center with differentiated activities. We do a sign-in station every morning during arrival, and morning table activities that are focused on fine motor and writing.

My district has pretty strict play based regulations, so it might look different than a classroom that does an actual "workshop" type set-up.

RiaTeachPK

No Typical Workshop
Old 07-03-2017, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We're required to do a play based curriculum too. While I do teach reading and writing skills, you'll never see all of my pre-k students reading at the same time or writing at the same time like in a traditional reading or writing workshop. I have a reading center/library and a writing center that students can choose to visit during center time. I also place books and writing materials in other centers like dramatic play, blocks, and science so students can draw and write plans for what they are doing. During center time, my assistant and I visit the different centers and try to teach into what students are doing. We ask a lot of open ended questions and try to build oral vocabulary.
RiaTeachPK is offline   Reply With Quote