Help

Daily 5

Daily 5 departmentalized

>

teachingizfun

Daily 5 departmentalized
Old 07-03-2017, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have used Daily 5 for several years with my second graders. This year I will be teaching 3rd grade in a new school that departmentalizes in 3rd grade. I will be teaching reading all day to all our 3rd graders. I'm VERY EXCITED about that.
My question is this: Does anyone have tips for how to manage the GF books for 3 different classes? I normally use bags but don't have any hooks . Also anyone who has used D5 for multiple classes in a day, please chime in with any and all tips, ideas, or pitfalls. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

teachingizfun is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-03-2017, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Could you get bags in different colors and color code your classes? We tried departmentalizing one year and I got some dish tubs from the dollar store (maybe Walmart) and stored things in them using different colors for the classes.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingizfun

another question
Old 07-03-2017, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Like the color coding idea! How did your departmentalizing go? What did you like/not like about it?
teachingizfun is offline   Reply With Quote

prestolj

D5
Old 07-13-2017, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did that in 4th grade this year. I bought 3 different colored large bins (that's how many sections I had) and they kept their books in a gallon sized baggie with their name on it. It worked very well. Each group knew which color bin their book baggie was in!��

Last edited by prestolj; 07-13-2017 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word
prestolj is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-13-2017, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My new p that year did not like not being in on the decision to departmentalize and after 6 weeks made us stop (without ever visiting our classrooms).

Things I liked: having so much less to prep. Grading was easier as, even though it was more, it wasn't as many different things. Sometimes I had trouble remembering exactly where each class was if we weren't at exactly the same spot. I think I would have figured this out pretty easily if we had continued.

Cons: I do feel like I knew kids less well overall, although I knew them very in the subject matter. Some kids were less comfortable with the switching and had a more difficult time with it than others. I don't think it was too hard for them, but....

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote