The Job Search

Worth The Step Back?

>

kinder_teach7

kinder_teach7

Worth The Step Back?
Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm torn on a job option for next year. I should be looking for my own "real" classroom. I graduated two years ago, spent most of last year in a maternity leave position (then a bit of random subbing at the end) and SHOULD be looking for my own position for this upcoming school year. I recently found out about a full year maternity leave position at my dream school and am so torn on if I should go for it. In my district, these positions do not count toward tenure, so this would put me at two years that do not count. But on the other hand, this is hands down my dream school.

I'm conflicted over what to do about this. I wouldn't consider it for any other school, but getting myself in with this particular one would be my absolute ideal situation. I know it doesn't promise a position for the following year, but it could seriously increase my odds. Does it seem worth the chance?

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would go for it and continue applying for classroom positions in other districts/schools and see what happens.

I always caution people about "dream" school. It may be that until you get there and see what's REALLY happening. You could start the maternity leave and realize it's not as great as you think it is. Just a thought.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

Old 07-05-2017, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hate to be a Debbie Downer (especially on this type of board), but most people already have someone in mind when they go on maternity leave.

In our District, maternity leave positions are almost always given to retired teachers. Your district may be different, but I would still apply.

I am also very weary of people who have "dream" schools. I would never advice anyone to wait (especially this late in the hiring season).

I have been on interview committees and in my District there are 100's of approved candidates for one position.

I would not wait and apply everywhere. Use all the interviews as practice. I am not at a dream school, but I teach in my dream grade level. (I also don't have crazy co-workers. )

Basically, I would apply everywhere. I wouldn't look at it as a step back but as a step forward. You could apply to teaching jobs, subbing jobs, and hopefully get some interviews. It doesn't have to be one or the other until you get job offers.

Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
kinder_teach7

kinder_teach7

Old 07-05-2017, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's actually quite early in the hiring season in my district. Schools don't even have their finalized budgets yet. I've subbed quite a bit at this school and have a pretty good idea of what goes on inside of it, I actually found out about the position from teachers at the school.

I'm applying all over the place, but I'm mostly just conflicted on taking another non-permanent, non-tenure, position over a more mediocre, but "permanent", one.

GraceKrispy

Old 07-06-2017, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't get how this would be a "step back" since you've not yet had your own classroom. Maybe I missed something? It wouldn't be a full step forward, but certainly not a step back. In my view, it would be a tiny step forward to have a year long sub job.

I agree with Betty and I'd apply for all options. A year long job in your "dream school" might be a great chance to get to know the school (and see if it's really a dream) and give you experience from start to finish in a classroom. You can see if it's really your dream. But getting your own classroom would give you the same options (plus credit towards tenure) because you might find its a great fit for you.

In any case, there's no guarantee you'll get any of those jobs, so apply for all you can. When you are offered more than one, then you have your dilemma.

Good luck!

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

SingingTeach7

Old 07-10-2017, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also agree with going for all options. Apply for anything and everything
SingingTeach7 is offline   Reply With Quote