Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Tables or Desks

>

Seriously

Tables or Desks
Old 07-05-2017, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving to Kindergarten this year. I am trying to decide if I want to have the students sit at tables or desks (pods of 4). Space is limited and the tables I have are large, but are desks going to be ok in a K classroom. I just can't decide. Does anyone have desks and like them? Or is tables the better option for the little ones? Please help.

Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The only issues I see with having desks in kindergarten would be that they would probably get messy. There may also be issues with larger projects and the slits from where the desks separate. Other than that, I do like desks because of the flexibility.

If you know you want to permanently keep them in pods, I would zip-tie the legs together.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Jerebo

Old 07-05-2017, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Tables all the way with a supply basket in the center to keep their crayons and pencils in. I keep glue and scissors in accessible baskets elsewhere as well as a basket for spare old or lost crayons. Best decision ever. The only difference is I actually requested pencil pouches from the students upcoming year because there was some kinder drama about crayons and pencils all of which my school provides.

Plus, it is easier to lower tables compared to desks. Most desks are too high for kindergarteners unless you or a janitor take the time to lower them and some desks only go so low.
Jerebo is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-05-2017, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach K and have tables. My students had desks when I taught first grade. I prefer tables-they seem to take up less room in my small classroom. I used to do the community supplies in caddies on the tables. Now I have chair pockets for students to store folders and a zippered supply pouch that holds pencils, crayons, glue sticks, eraser, dry erase marker and small can of play-doh. I feel this helps them learn to be responsible for their taking care of their own materials. When we work on the carpet, they bring their zippered pouches with them.

There are advantages/disadvantages for having either tables or desks. You might want to try a combination of tables and desks to offer more flexible seating. Students could choose to work in groups at the tables, with a partner using two desks or by themselves at a desk separated from the other desks. You could see if you can raise a desk to use as a standing desk. I'm not sure if you could lower a table low enough for students to sit on the floor when working, but that might be an option, too.

PP has a good suggestion about using zip ties around legs of the desks to connect the desks together in a pod. I had my desks in groups of 4 when I taught first.

Kindergarten students come in lots of different sizes. I always have some teeny tiny ones and some that are tall. If you have tables, you might want to have them set at different heights to accommodate different sized students. One year I brought in a desk/chair for one of my students because he was as almost as tall as me and wasn't comfortable working at the lower tables.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
booklady57
Old 07-05-2017, 03:45 PM
This message has been deleted by booklady57.

K-Jeanne

Tables
Old 07-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have taught both K and First and love tables for both grade levels. One time I started my year in K with desks. 3 months later my tables arrived. I couldn't believe what the kinders collected in the desks...rocks, dolls, toys and so many rocks.
In both the k and 1st I find the tables create more room in the classroom. I love doing activities where we are up and around the classroom. Other rooms with desks seem to be smaller than my room with the tables. Lots of things to consider. If you prefer your students in the desks working, then that would work well. If you like them using clipboards, sitting with partners, lots of movement, the tables give you that space. Good luck with your decision.

K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I've used tables the last couple of years. .
Old 07-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really prefer them to desks. And, even though they seem large individually, the tables seem to make my room feel larger. I felt like I had more room for kids on the carpet, and for me to move around the classroom. I also liked the fact that there were no rats nests hiding in desks, or places for kids to stash things they didn't want you or their parents to see. Especially for K I vote tables!
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Old 07-05-2017, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach K & have always used tables.

Tables are the best &

Takes up less space. I have 4 tables & can accommodate 24 students. I never
have that many kids though.

Last edited by Dr. A; 07-06-2017 at 07:00 AM..
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote
AMK88

AMK88

tables
Old 07-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Tables all the way! They create a warmer, more collaborative classroom environment and help teach students valuable skills regarding sharing and respecting each other.

Seriously

Old 07-06-2017, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your insight. I will be keeping my tables.
Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote