Help

High School

Where to start

>

cool2read

Where to start
Old 07-08-2017, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to jump to the high school for a few classes this year to help with struggling readers during the enrichment time slot. I have never actually taught high school. 8th grade is the highest grade. If anyone has anything they can share or have suggestions on what to teach to ensure reading skills and levels go up , I would appreciate it so much. TIA!

cool2read is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

ideas
Old 07-10-2017, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I switched from middle to high school, and I found that high school kids seem really interested in current events and nonfiction - more so than middle school.
My kids are always interested in bizarre news articles or articles about celebrities and especially articles about controversial issues. There are some data bases that will give you the Lexile score of their articles so that you can make them start easy and get gradually harder. Check with your school to see what databases they have. ProQuest is a really good one in my opinion...it gives the reading level and even has an audio option for very struggling readers.
Hope that helps.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote