The Job Search

Changing jobs due to commute

>

pizza

Changing jobs due to commute
Old 07-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hoping to get opinions...
I have a 100 mile round-trip commute each day. My job is good I get along well with everyone and I don't have any problems at work. I do enjoy my job (most days)! I've been with my district for 13 years.
I moved just over a year ago and the drive is really getting to me. Going to work is about 45 minutes. Going home is an hour to an an hour and a half. I'm not interesting in car pooling and the train is too expensive. I love where I live so moving closer is not something I'd do.
Would you leave a job you're comfortable at to start at a new district, lose seniority, and have to prove yourself all over? I really don't know, my only pro for leaving is the commute. The job I'm considering is about 30 minutes from my home.
I read proteacher often, yet have never posted. Thanks for reading and any help you can give.

pizza is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Truthfully, I could never do a commute that long. My dh has before, adn I can tell you that it drove him crazy. He tried some carpooling options, and a bus and that was a little better because at least he could do something on the trip.

My question about seniority is how long do you plan on working? It it is still for many years, it would be worth it to start over. Have you looked at what you would be given for your experience in your new job? Maybe it isn't as bad as you think.

I would most definitely go for a new job closer to me.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

pizza

Long commute
Old 07-09-2017, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks kahluablast! I have 10-12 years left. The job looks promising but I haven't been formally offerrred yet. Salary scales look comparable to my current district. They informally offered it to me but said I wouldn't hear from HR for about two weeks.
I think I'm most concerned with starting over and of course seniority.
pizza is offline   Reply With Quote